Novice Rider Question on stalling

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I took my 01 KDX220 out for the first time a couple weekends ago. Being the novice I am I'm going to ask a dumb question. Should the bike stall that easy when nailing the brakes? I was trail riding and came upon some tough corners a couple times and I layed on the front&rear brake(s), but mostly the front. I didn't come to a complete stop, but close, and the bike quit on me. This happened twice. It was like once I nailed the brakes the engine went down to nothing and I stalled. Couple kicks and on my way, but was I possibly in a gear or two too high? My old XR would come close to killing but when I let out the clutch it would start up again. This KDX seems different. Could be that I'm learning all over again, which is probably the case.

Seeya

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
use the clutch

Ya gotta use the clutch when you slam the rear brake

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, like I said, it's probably just me having to get the hang of it again. Been out of the game for over four summers. This is my first nice bike. I'm up in northern MN. Last bike was an 81 KDX175, and before that was an 85 XR200R. This 220 is like a Lexus compared to those jalopies. Couple more weekends and I'll be rippin it up. I think I was on the clutch though. I'll pay more attention next time. I was playing follow the leader with a 14 year kid on a Yamaha 350 Warrior. He had me in the twisties and sand, only because I'm still a little leary. Kicked his a$$ in the straights and dirt roads though.

Seeya

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
My last bike was an 81 KDX 175 too!

I just got a new KDX 220 and after taking 17 years off riding I was just a tad bit rusty. I stalled my bike a couple times until I learned to take most corners with the clutch lever in and either fan the clutch a tad coming out or knock down 1 or 2 gears while negotiating the apex of the turn. It's just something to paractice -but this last weekend I rode 86 miles of trail and never stalled the bike once by concentrating on keeping the clutch in every time I hit the rear brake or went into a corner hard. I got a set of Sunline shortly "two finger" levers from Rage performance and they help with all the clutch work. I used to ride 125's for years and learned this technique on them and it has carried over to every thing I ride now. Back in 1976 and 1977 the little Kaw 125 I rode in the Enduroes around here needed to keep the throttle pegged and use the clutch constantly to keep it ripping down the trail.

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
Yup ya gotta get on the clutch, you can't drag the rear on the kdx like you can a four stroke. The four strokes you can use the engine braking. Once you get used to the KDX no four wheeler will keep up. The last four wheeler that tried it with me is still doing front end repairs, LOL.:p

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I know how you feel, the guy I ride with is XR250 mounted and sometimes we switch bikes. The xr is almost stall proof but doesnt accelerate anything like my KDX, I'm glad when we switch back :cool:

If you miss that 4stroke feel you can always tweek that 220 it responds very well. Check http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ for tips. Mods like a new pipe, 50 tooth and jetting will make it almost stall proof.

Last edited:

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
check the clutch freeplay

I would also recommend making sure you have enough freeplay with the clutch lever. When I bought my new KDX, I was stalling it heaps on corners under braking, and that was with the clutch pulled in!

I noticed that when pulling in the clutch to my fingers (that is, I use two fingers to pull in the clutch, and when pulled in it hits my other fingers), the clutch was not disengaging. Therefore I was stalling the bike. I adjusted the free play and haven't had a problem since.

Just a thought in case your still having problems.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I'll have to check on the "freeplay" in the clutch. I'm fairly sure I was clutching in these stall situations. I also notice with my new 01KDX220 that when the bike is not running and it's in gear, if I pull in the clutch and try to move the bike forward it won't budge. Is this normal??? Shouldn't I be able to pull in the clutch and wheel the bike around as if it was in neutral? I know I SHOULD be able to, but is this behavior unusual on a KDX? Is it because it's only got 50 miles on it and it needs further break-in? I thought I've read elsewhere in this forum about others with the same problem.

seeya

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Both my bikes have the same problem, with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in it is very hard to push the bike around but it can be done. It is much easier with the bike in neutral.

Top Bottom