Now it won't start at all - XR250

harleygal

Feb 22, 2001
I had a problem back a month or so ago that my 95 XR250 was hard to start and then ran really bad, bogging. Now I cleaned the carb, cleaned the tank, fresh gas, a good spark and the plug is wet so it is getting gas. It won't even make an effort to start. Any help out there? Also I wanted to change my fork oil but when I unscrew the caps, they won't come off, they are hung up some how, I am about to scream!!! Thanks for any help from the experts out there.
Nancy

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Once you do get the fork caps out of the forks, they are still attached to the damper rods INSIDE the forks.
A service manual is in your future. It really takes the guess work out of maintenance.
The start problem:
-adjust the valves
-put in a NEW plug....even if the old one SEEMS to be firing OK.
If it still does not start, I'd bet on a clogged jet.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Like Bill said, get a service manual. If you're gonna be doing your own maintenence, it will keep you from pulling your hair out. You don't want to see a wet plug. Yes, it shows that the engine is getting fuel but barring any electrical problems, it also shows you're getting too much fuel(jetting too rich). You can foul even a new plug in a heartbeat, especially in a cold engine. Put in a new plug that is gapped properly and try again. Good luck.

------------------
Derek
'00XR400
Trailryder42s Picture Page

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Check,
The air filter, clean if dirty.
Check the operation of the choke. Make sure it is not closing as the engine is running.

Check the engine compression, using a compression gauge. This will give you an idea as to the condition of the valves and piston rings.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Jonala (edited 03-26-2001).]

harleygal

Feb 22, 2001
thanks everyone, I don't think the valves were ever done. I just bought it used last year. Are the valves hard to do? I do have a manual and used it but it said nothing about loosening the bolts on the triple clamps to get out the springs. It just states to take off the caps and pull the springs out. It's just like my 89 KDX, no rods. So should I take a stab at the valves or bring it to a shop? Thanks again
Nancy

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I just did the valves on my 2001 XR 250. It wasn't difficult at all. It is a little tricky, to properly get feeler gauge under the rockers. If you have adjusted valves on another engine go for it.

Otherwise I would suggest you have someone show you once, so you can do them the next time.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Harleygal,
The valves should be checked like others have mentioned. I'd also get someone to help you with the idle speed and fuel screw adjustments. My old XR250 was really finiky about those settings. I had a Honda mechanic help me out on that once. I had torn the carb apart and cleaned everything up, finally swore there was some obscure electrical problem. The mechanic set the screw and idle and it started first or second kick all the time after that.

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Harleygal,
Turn the idle screw out, then set the air screw to the manual spec. Then try to start it, if it starts then turn the idle screw back in until it idles (after fully warmed up). If it still does not start, you may want to have someone look at it (possible bad O-Ring in the screw chamber), that will explain exactly wht they are doing so you will learn to do it yourself

wrench

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
harleygal. A couple of things you might want to check. Remove the spark plug cap from the end of your plug wire and cut about 3/8" from the end of the wire and reinstall the plug cap. Sometimes the wire will become corroded on the very end and you will lose a little contact.
Also, have your local shop check the value of the pick up coil. This is a small coil inside the right engine cover. They are sensitive to heat and can become weak over time.
You may still have spark when you check the plug outside of the engine, but, under compression, the plug may not fire.

Hope this helps.

Ol'89r

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the valves are too tight, it will make the bike very hard to start. If the last time you were running it, it was running bad that makes it sound even more like the valves are too tight. Essentially the valve is not closing all the way, so much less compression. With wear, the valves will tend to tighten, not loosen.

On the forks - you really do need to loosen those pinch bolts before unscrewing the cap. The pinch bolts are clamping the tube enough to make the internal diameter smaller. BTW, even though the cap takes a big wrench, you don't have to tighten it very much.

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 03-29-2001).]

TKH-KTM

Apr 8, 2001
Make sure you are getting fuel!!, and then make sure you are getting Spark!! If you aren't getting fuel to the cylender make sure you have fuel in your float bowl, I went through my carb once and the float got stuck and wouldn't let fuel in. I pray my carb down with WD40 as I put it back together... once all of this is done try a new plug, and kick it over don't give it any gas or choke... then choke it with NO gas and give this a few kicks...

Good luck... Don't worry it happens to the best of us!

------------------
2001 KTM 200EXC,
XR250L and XT350

Top Bottom