happydog

Mar 29, 2008
Just got home from a ride that finished early due to my 1999 KDX200 breaking down (first time ever I might add). Add to that the embarassment of having to be towed back to the car by a buddie on a KTM :ohmy:

The trouble started with a really simple off on some slippery clay. I came down on my left and after a quick inspection saw there was no damage at all. So I started her up, clicked into first and let the clutch out...... and nothing! It seemed to be in gear but was going nowehere. I played around with the gear shift for a while but no matter how high a gear I selected, the rear wheel would roll free as if it were in neutral. I kind of guessed I had broken a selector in the box or something. So strange considering it was such a slow crash and there was no obvious damage to the gear shift at all.

Now here is the weird bit - after getting home about an hour and a half later I wheeled the bike in the garage and thought I might give it one more try. I found first and tried to push the bike - and the rear wheel enagaged! so I started the bike and sure enough my gearbox was back!

Anyone care to have a guess at what might have happened?

mudronin

Sep 21, 2006
I see this is a few weeks old, but I have heard of the shift star being sloppy in some older bikes( like my 95) and causes a false neutral. the impact may have put your shifter in that position. When my old KLX 250r did that, usually moving the lever while it was off and rocking the bike put things back in place. Not sure if that is the case with your bike but it is a problem I have had with mine(kdx once klx several times before upgrading the star).

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Granted they were not kdx's, but on a xr I wrecked and the kick starter caught as it went down and it popped off and knocked a few teeth off of the kick starter gear in the process. I had another xr that a real simple slip was enough to kill/plug the oil pump and the bike seized within 3 miles of normal road riding after I picked it back up and restarted it. Falls do funny things to running engines.

Top Bottom