Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
I just received from Rocky Mountain a set of Renthal front and rear sprocket with a Renthal O-Ring chain for my KDX-220.
This is the first time I am installing an o-ring chain and I was wondering, the master link has a w-shaped lock instead of the regular u-shaped there are 2 locks provided should I use one or two I suppose this lock should be installed between 3 points on the link considering its shape?? Could anyone please help me out!
I have all the tools (chainbreaker, press-tool)

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
well i was going to make a new thread about this also but i found this thread. What is the best way to take off and install a chain? I think i can take a chain breaker to take it off but how do i install it? I also just got the renthal 520-o-ring chain thx..

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Removal

Hey, I am trying to remove a chain for my first time, and not having a lot of luck, does anyone know if it is a pain to remove? I removed the clip(it broke) and seems nearly impossible to remove. It is being stubborn. Any advice on this would be appreciated. It is a Regina Gold O ring chain. Thanks!

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah use a chain breaker. They are pressed on there so go buy one or break out the hacksaw or make a breaker by welding a tough little bit of rod on the end of a G clamp. Hey just thought of that , not a bad idea.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Removing the chain, regular or o-ring is relatively painless, and should take less than 1 minute. I put a straight slot screwdriver in the side clip and twist it to spread the clip, then I slip a thin bladed screwdriver between the clip and the side plate of the chan to pull the clip out. Then simply rotate it up, and pull it off. Remember to put the clip on in the same direction as you removed it. For an o-ring chain, simply squeeze a little harder on the side plates when installing the clip.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
more

to clarify I did get the clip off the chain, I just am not getting the chain to get free. I have used pliers to try and get the chain to release by prying them apart. Just confused here.:confused:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
asrith
if you have the clip and outer side plate off, and the plate with the 2 pins wont come out, I suggest spraying it with some penetrating lubricant and twisting it around for a bit... not enough to damage the chain, but enough to loosen the pin in the link.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Was there corrosion on the pins once you got it out?

trl

Feb 22, 2002
I just bought a new KDX200 Thursday. I want to replace the standard chain with an O-ring chain. Can I just buy the correct chain for the KDX220 and put it on? Do I need to change any other parts such as the chain guide, etc.

Thanks.

Top Bottom