mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I am still using the stock chain on my 02 KX 250, and it seems to wear out awfully fast; I have to tighten the damn thing after 2 or 3 rides it seems. I don't bother with chain lube since it just flies off and ruins the underside of my fenders (that crap wont scrub off).

I was thinking about getting an o-ring chain. Is it worth it? do they last quite a bit longer? Do you ever have to lube the stupid things?

Also, how do I go about getting the right one? are they all the same size as long as it has enough links in it? It says in my bike's manual that its a # something chain. Is that how many links are in it?

Woodzi

Sep 22, 2005
Get an o-ring chain. They last a lot longer. Get a steel sprocket as well. A bit heavier, but costs less than aluminum and extends the like of the o-ring chain even further.

I use a little bit of chain lube so it doesn't rust. And no pressure washers.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Steel rear sprockets will do nothing to increase the life of the chain.

Only thing a steel sprocket does, is resist wear when your chain has stretched past safe running specifications. If you don't measure your chains and know how long they have grown at any given time, then a steel sprocket can fake you into thinking things are fine and well, when in fact you may be near a chain snap.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
If you try an o-ring chain next time, make sure you replace your sprockets too. Steel rear sprockets are good.

I'm sure you'll find that your chain and sprockets last much longer.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Instead of chain lube, I like Maxima Chain WAX. It's pretty dusty out here in New Mexico and the wax stays really clean, doesn't fling off, and seems to do a good job. Put it on _after_ your ride while the chain is nice and warm and before you load the bike up. That will let it "set".

I have O-rings on both bikes. Am using a Titex aluminum rear sprocket on the KDX and it's working fine. RK chain- adjusted it a couple of times when new and that's it. I don't think I've adjusted it for the past 5-6 rides. Your front sprocket will wear much faster than the rear and you'll end up flipping it over and probably replacing it at least once before you do the chain and rear.

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
Just as Jaybird said, steel sprockets will fool you into thinking everything is okay when the chain could be on the verge of snapping.

Run a good aluminum rear sprocket, and an o-ring chain. When a sprocket wears out, replace the whole set. They wear as a set, and get replaced as a set.

For the record, your stock chain is not made well anyways, then you're not lubing it, which makes it's life even shorter. Use motorcycle chain lube. If you lube it, then wipe it off before you ride, it won't fling all over.

All chains require chain lube before every ride. O-ring chains require o-ring safe chain lube. It will say on the can.

O-ring chains are basically maintenance free. The lube is to keep the o-rings moist, and prevent rust. O-ring chains are heavier and rarely require adjustment. Because of this, make sure you use anti-seize on the adjuster bolts in the swingarm.

Roller chains require frequent removal & cleaning in addition to regular lubrication & adjustment.

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
the varying opinons here can only be of use if you first state what type of riding you do.

Racing motocross (and trying to be serious about it ;) ) will get you different answers than the casual motocrosser or woods rider/racer.

I still have stock sprockets on my 05 but I only rode it once with the stock chain. I have the RK MXZGB chain (one of if not THE lightest 520 chain made). Resistance to wear has been outstanding and with over 50 hours of practice and racing motocross....both the chain and sprokets are in good shape.

Having said all that....the only chain that ever survived the torque of my thumper was a Regina O-ring.....indestructible but HEAVY! :D

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
the "replace everything as a set" theory is great, if you are the one selling the parts. In the real world, if the sprockets are still decent and you are replacing the chain, there's really no need to replace the sprockets. Worn chains wear sprockets, if you have a partially worn sprocket and replace just the chain you will notice that sprocket wear magically dropped to almost zilch. In other words, if it's 1/3 of the way worn out now and you put on a new oring chain, look at it again ten rides later and it will still look about 1/3 worn out. Most of your sprocket wear occurrs just before the chain is replaced (progressively).

These parts are not really a "matched set", they are all engineered to the generic specs for "520".

yzrulz

Dec 3, 2003
I would definitely recommend getting an o-ring or x-ring chain and a set of steel sprockets. I put a set of Primary Drive Steel Sprockets and an RK X-ring chain on my YZ250 last summer ($75 for the complete set from Rocky Mountain). I also use Maxima Chain Wax and apply it after every ride when the chain is nice and warm. I adjusted the chain after the first ride and have not touched it since!! Thats well over a year and the sprockets still look like new!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom