Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I am new to the dirt rider forums. I have been around bikes as a kid. My son and I are getting into dirt bikes and riding together. My question is on the subject of o ring chains. I ride a 1996 KDX 200. What cleans o ring chains outside of gasoline? And what lube is good? All I have found is stuff (that I prefer to leave nameless) leave built up of dirt and a hard grease like substance. I want to take care of this bike and I need help and imput! :confused:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
GASOLINE will very likely ruin the o-rings. I'd use something like "Gunk" or your local auto store's own & much cheaper in house brand. Spray it on, leave it on for 15 min then scrub both sides of the chain with a tooth brush & hot soapy water. I blow mine dry with the air hose & oil it [unless I'm going to ride in sand]

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I use o-ring chain and do the following with the chain on the bike:

Wash chain with garden hose with spray nozzle........
Scrub chain with nylon brush.....
Wash chain again with hose......
Let dry.......
Spray with chain oil made for o-ring chain.

uoof1

Mar 25, 2002
WD 40 will ruin some orings. Compressed air can push water or dirt past the orings. DID chain recomends kerosene for cleaning thiers. Get on your manufacturers web site and see what they say. The lube on an oring chain is just for rust prevention as the lube is sealed in by the orings. Probably more oring chains ruined by "maintenance" than by use. Kevin

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Triflow teflon spray. It's clean, not sticky. My last o-ring chain lasted for over 2 years.

'Lasted' defined as:

1. Riding most every weekend.
2. Adjusted it once.

Teflon helps keep crud from sticking to it, too. Usually doesn't have any junk ON it after a ride.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Lubricant is necessary on an o-ring chain. There are friction surfaces not protected by the sealed-in lube. Also, lubricant will help to keep the rings supple so they won't swell, or dry crack.
A good cleaner like Simple Green works well usless you make the mistake of using thick, tacky chain wax.

NO o-ring chain was ever worn out faster by GOOD maintenance.

Bread

Mar 1, 2002
Heh heh heh, just do what I do, ride it and put it in the garage. (Bread sits back and grins at all the keyboards getting ground to a pulp)
Just wash your bike with a garden hose and a brush with soapy water, run down to the bike store and buy a bottle of chain lube, or wd40 has not hurt my chain and come to think of it I've run this chain for over a year and a half. O ring chains are tough, the KDX is tough, just remember to mix yer gas an oil, check your air filter every two rides or so if your not ridin in super dusty stuff. But the earlier posts were right, dont use gas to clean anything on the outiside of your bike. Main thing to remember is to have a blast while your out riding with your boy, and take as many trips as you can.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Thanks for all your help. I really enjoy the bike and have kept the gas and air filter right and clean. I have just never worked with o-ring chains. Canyncarvr, where do you get the Triflow Teflon spray?

Is to much lube on an o-ring chain harmfull?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
mid:
It's at the local bike shops ($14 a can). It's also at knechts (auto supply store) for $10.

Harmful? Probably not in any way you mean. Makes a mess, mostly. You wouldn't want any on your disc rotor. Even at $10 a can, you won't want to be spraying it willy-nilly. DO spray the INside diameter of the chain...not the outside (as in DO SPRAY the TOP of the chain on the BOTTOM loop as it EXITS the countershaft gear?).

With a little finesse on the go-button of the can, you can dribble it out at a decent rate to cover the rings/surfaces required without loosing 1/2 a can all over the place.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
canyncarvr:

That Triflow is great stuff. I used to use it all of the time when i raced bicycles. :thumb:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I agree that after washing te bike spray some WD 40 on the chain to keep it from rusting. Apply the chain oil that you prefer after that. I like the BelRay superclean chain oil myself.

The triFlo is great stuff for any metal to metal contact lubrication like kickstarter, rear brake hinges, footpegs, etc. After washing my bike I always lubricate all these areas.

RFJ_His_Son

Dec 14, 2001
hey bread, you've a good attitude there. I hit the bike with a bit of 2 by 2, to knock off the worst of the baked on clay, then I leave it till the next ride.
Works for me!

Top Bottom