o-Ring Gaskets!??

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
Hey, i need a quick answer from all the pros out there. I just got my cylinder back from Eric Gorr today (WOO HOO!!!!!!!!, post pictures soon) and already opened the gasket kit i bought before hand and on a piece of paper it said putting some grease on the o-rings. I would look but my dad through the piece of paper away. Does it matter what kind of grease you use? And when you install the rigns make sure the "N" side is up right? as you can tell this is my first real top end. Thxs for the help :debil:

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
The grease is mainly so they dont shift when you put the head back on. I've used no grease in the past with no problems. Usualy I use some petroleum jelly which is always around the house and works good. And yes, lettering side up on the rings and arrow pointing towards exhaust port on the piston :D

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The lubricant may also help keep the ring pliable. Any lithium base grease, 3-n-1 oil, or silicone will be fine.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
at work we use a ton of o-rings. If it is going to be together for a long time we grease them so they don't dry out and leak. I've got some great grease for o-rings but at $500 a tube I think I'll settle for the $3 lithium stuff.
Jason

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…