"O" ring or non "O" ring style chain?

• Total voters

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I was wondering what the majority uses out there in dirt land. Do you use an "O" ring style chain and if you do, what's the benefit? I've still got the stock non "O" ring style chain on my RM and it'll be 3 years as of June. I clean it after every ride and then spray WD-40 on it after, that's it, no chain lube, wax etc. What's the advantages and disadvantages of each?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Go with the "O"...... Or "X" in my case. Put one on and with minimum maintenance you can practically forget about em'.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I did the same routine on my stock chains as you Elk and I had to adjust them all of the time. I use O-ring (x-ring) chains now and usually adjust them after the first couple rides and that is it....no more issues with stretching. I usually end up replacing them when the links are severely flattened.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
x-ring.....cause I don't "do" chain maintenance.
I aim a can of lubricant at the chain once in a while & call it good. I normally get 2+ seasons out of my chains.

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
my bikes still have factory chain on them-i am fixing to buy new sprockets and chain-did not know the difference or what type of chain to buy-but now i think i will go with the o-ring

thanksc for this subject

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
O-ring for sure. Minimal maintenance and less stretching. I would say keeping any chain clean is important and also I don't think WD-40 is a good thing to use since it primarily removes the lubricant on the chain. If you are waxing or lubing after the WD-40 and using it to just get the chain clean then maybe but if the last thing you are spraying is WD-40 watch out.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
a454elk said:
I clean it after every ride and then spray WD-40 on it after, that's it, no chain lube, wax etc.
MikeT said:
Go with the "O"...... Or "X" in my case. Put one on and with minimum maintenance you can practically forget about em'.
Farmer John said:
x-ring.....cause I don't "do" chain maintenance.
I aim a can of lubricant at the chain once in a while & call it good.
whyzee said:
x-ring forever
zero maintenance

You guys are gonna give poor Jaybird a stroke with this thread :laugh:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
KX2fitty said:
If you are waxing or lubing after the WD-40 and using it to just get the chain clean then maybe but if the last thing you are spraying is WD-40 watch out.

This has been debated over and over again. I have one chain that is 2.5 years old and has had nothing but WD-40 sprayed on it after washing with water or soap/water. The outside of the chain doesn't need anything beyond WD40 as far as I am concerned. The sealed rings take care of what needs to be lubed.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
a454elk said:
I've still got the stock non "O" ring style chain on my RM and it'll be 3 years as of June.

thats about 5 rides then???? :moon:

i use the o ring on the big bike and the regular chain on the smaller ones. i am lucky to get 6-9 months from the regular set, but then again, i ride every week at a really nasty rutted, sandy and muddy track.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
What if I said I was now using a sintered pin/Tivar bushed chain with NO rollers, that also has O-rings? (try THAT one on for size motometal...and NO you can't have one!)
:)

Elkiepoo....
In all seriousness, depending on your riding conditions both work out fine.
Rings do pose problems that nons don't...i.e. one damaged ring can wreak havoc on the sprockets and the rest of the chain. Plus rings hate wax soup and sand sandwiches.

Nons pose problems that ringers don't... i.e. riding often in the slop without cleaning and lubricating properly can wreak havoc on an otherwise perfectly good chain.

Both need to be properly adjusted....not just having three nubby fingers thrown under it once a month and calling it good, but PROPERLY adjusted.
Most all problems can be attributed to bad lube, bad lube practice, and the number one problem that I encounter....improper adjustment.
You have obviously passed the adjustment test from what you posted. Good man.
:)

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
I run a non-oring chain and spend $326.00 on quality chain lubricants every year.

Scratch that- I run a $67.00 DID o-ringer, hit it with WD after each washing (to prevent rust), adjust slack twice per season, and replace the chain and sprockets every other season.

You COULD run a non-ring chain, but WHY?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
aaa....maybe because it can last longer than the ringer....orrrr....maybe becasue it's lighter than the ringer...orrrr.....becasue you like to prove all the swear-by-ringers crowd that they are WRONG!

If I actually bought lubricant, I think I'd be spending approx. $40 a year for 3-4 bikes.

$326.00 a year? Pffffffttttt.....I GIVE more lube than that away each year.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
x-ring. Virtually no stretching, and all you have to do is spray some goo on there after you wash the bike. My last x-ring (renthal) lasted an entire year!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
souphmars said:
my bikes still have factory chain on them-i am fixing to buy new sprockets and chain-did not know the difference or what type of chain to buy-but now i think i will go with the o-ring

thanksc for this subject

Little note here. If you intend to put an O-ring on your YZ125, you will need to put a thin spacer behind the front sprocket to move it away from the cases so the chain won't hit it. I made one out of a thin (maybe 1/32" thick) washer that worked perfectly for 2 1/2 years. I sold the bike and it is still on it and working. Don't let it stop you from putting one on. Also after all that time I think the 1/32" didn't pose a problem with sprocket alignment either.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
hmmmmmmmm......The main reason I run the non O ring is cause it came stock that way. May have to think about the O ring style next chagne over. And Bruce :moon: I ride twice as hard so 5 rides means 10! LOL

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OK. ive got a brand new 520 chain and i dont know how many links its got. if i need 114 links, how long in inches should the chain be?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
71.25" Bruce

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
AH, but that is from center hole on one end, to center hole other end. Not total end to end. Total endo would be 71.875" :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No Bruce, you should go to at least 85.79887960 degrees to the left. That will give your rearend spark plug a jump in HP. Don't worry about all the slack, it's natural and that's what a chain guide is for!

Top Bottom