placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Now some of you may think I’m crazy but believe me this isn’t the best match for a dry-climate living, dead-cow eating, hard-working/playing country boy.

Be it as it may it’s an April island assignment for me, three weeks in all.

Are there any DRNers out there who can give me a clue, or others who have been there B4 as far as what to do in my spare time? For sure a visit to Pearl Harbor would be in order, to honor those brave souls.

I could pack my riding gear, but only if there are worthwhile dual sport bike rentals/places/exploring available. With a DS bike, can I take a ferry from one island to the other or is it unadvisable? I’m not one for sitting still. What else is there to do? Island hopping? Or stick with rental car abuse? Is there anything to do/see in the cities, countryside, peaks?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I went to Oahu for the millenium. I stayed at the Hale Koa on Waikiki beach. Go to Sam Choy's restaurant there, the food and service are wonderful.

Shark Cove on the North Shore of Oahu is a nice place to visit. The cove is named that way because of it's shape, not for sharks visiting there. Good snorkling in the cove. You can watch alot of surfing and we saw seaturtles the size of wheel barrels there. There's a vender who sells garlic shrimp and rice out of a panel van there.

Some of the best snorkling/diving is at Hanama Bay on Oahu. Get there early before the other tourists. Water quality gets cloudy from all the people stirring up the sand. If you don't bring your own gear, you can rent it there. If you snorkle, I strongly recommend bringing your own gear. Nothing better during a drive around the island, you can stop and check out the water whenever you want.

The Dole Pinapple Plantation is kinda cool place to visit. I visited the Arizona too. It still seeps fuel oil to this day. Lots of history to visit on the islands.

It's definately a great place to visit.

Have a great time, Steve.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
When I was in Kuwai (sp?) it was loaded w/ trails. There was a ATV rental place w/ guided rides at the time, but the bikes were no more. Lots of MX bikes hitting the trails up towards the canyon area. The helicopter rides are cool, as is this river trip that takes you up to the ranch where Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed. It included about a 5 mile hike...really pretty float/hike. I snorkeled off of the big island at the Orchid at Maui Lani which was a really cool snorkle beach. Big waves are off of Oahu.

BTW, eat at Roys on Kuwai...excellent food and make sure to tell them you want the desert souffle when you order your food(they make it fresh for you when you order)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Oahu: Punchbowl cemetery, Pali lookout, Kanehoe Bay, Ala Moana center, Honolulu Zoo, North Shore, International Marketplace... PM me bud, I grew up there and have a life long friend that lives there and works for Aloha Airlines, I'll get you two together for some other ideas.

Molokai is awesome, got married there. You can rent a jeep and go to the lava beds and take the jeep trail up to the rain forest. There is some beautiful and un-attended beaches too, Papuhaku Beach rocks. They have a wild life preserve there too. One end of the island is lowlands, grass and the other end is mountains. You can take a ride down to Father Damien's Leper Colony, no you can't catch it anymore but it's a great place to see. Or you can sit your butt on the beach and eat dried fruits, that should suit your fancy.:) Good luck and enjoy
Elk

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Thanks, ya'all.

Elkstien: I'll e-mail ya.

Oh, and I may as well take my frutie-tootie, "loconuts" wet - being there in the flesh...

Top Bottom