Observations and questions from a new 200exc owner

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
First, coming off a 2002 YZ250, I love the more mellow power in the woods. I am continually surprised by how well the bike will revs. By the way, it is a 2003.

I've described the bike as a lazy turner. Could it be the Michelin S-12s? Friends and I had poor luck with them on our YZ250F's three years back. I am ready to push the forks up in the triples, and soften the front up a bit, but one change at a time. Would the D-Lop 755 be a better choice up front?

The bike vibrates enough to make my hands numb after a two hour ride? Is there anything I can do?

What setting are you guys using on GPR Stabilizer (this is the first I've owned) for single track?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So far, I really like the bike.

uncle red

Sep 14, 2002
Was it slow steering before you added the stabilizer? I think the 200 is pretty darn nimble stock. I'm on my second bike with Michelin M-12's Previously had good luck with D-lop 752's as long as you kept out ofrock gardens and limited wheel spin. As for the vibe's, Have yo done the basics? Complete bolt check,engine mounts,pipe mounts ect.. I had one that had the back side of the pipe rubbing on the rear spring, it made this weird resonance/vibration thing that that drove me nut's.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Uncle Red:

I've only owned it with the stabilizer on it. It's not drag though, it feels like the front end pushes compared to my YZ. I'll do a bolt check, that's a good idea. Could be head stay or engine mount.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I've had my '03 200 since May and really like it so far. It doesn't have any vibration that I've noticed; it may have something loose as mentioned above. I run my GFR on #2 for single track enduros and #3 for higher speed harescrambles. I run S12's when the trails are wet and M12 front & S12 rear when dry. It seems to handle fine but the KTM's are more of a rear wheel steering bike than the Yamaha. It may take some adapting to that.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
I had a similar problem on my 300 when I first got it, I couldn't get the thing to turn and felt like I was going to crash around every corner. After raising the fork tubes up into the triple clamps that all went away and it felt great! Seems like everyone likes them just a little different.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Did you set the sag and front preload properly? KTMs are sensitive to these settings. Getting the static sag correct and the proper rear spring rate is needed for these bikes to turn. The 02 ans 03 125s we tested wanted to be ridden inorder to turn. Slow single track was difficult but 2nd-3rd gear sections were awesome.

Good luck

blohman

Aug 2, 2002
Lighten the rebound in the shock by 1 click at a time until it turns. should only take 1 or 2 clicks from stock. The rebound stack design makes the handling very sensitive to rebound setting. You may not like the result on whoops of changing the rebound but they will turn.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
Go to the KTM Talk website, on the suspension forum and read about the golden rule of sag. The 03 and 04 bikes need a lot more sag (45-50mm static) than the older bikes because of a top out spring in the shock. The manual is wrong at 35mm. 18mm offset triple clamps work great too.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Yota:

So, set the static sag and forget the typical sag method? Of course if normal sag is way out of wack, a stiffer, or lighter spring would be indicated. Is that what you're saying?

I'm going to do some testing today and tomorrow and I'll report my findings. .

Top Bottom