a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Well here it is, the Octotillo run we've been waiting for. I think the weather will now permit us non-lizards to ride out there in the Ocotillo area. We are going to ride on the 27th, a Saturday. I leave the Corona area between 5 and 5:30 and hit the staging area by 7:30. I'll post a place to meet so we can caravan down, that way we don't lose anyone from the get go.

Fred, I know you've been wanting this ride so here it is. Hope you can break away from the twins to join us!

For anyone that hasn't been out there, it's alot of fun, all kinds of riding. Not all sand like Glamis. There are sand hills, mud hills, riverbeds and mounds to jump. Anyone that can stay up on two wheels can join us. You don't have to be an expert rider out there, it is very forgiving.

It'll be me and elk jr. and maybe another couple of friends so stay tuned to the posts and we can get a big group together.

I make it a turn around trip so I get back home by late afternoon. Obvioulsly, anyone that wants to stay over that night and then ride Sunday morning is more than welcome, (don't need my permission to do that!). The morning rides are the best!

I'll post exact directions and a meeting place for the Southern folks later. Hope to see the whole DRN crew out there!

Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Our first taker! Please leave the rag behind though! We'll hook up prior to the ride and caravan down.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Are you talking about Ocotillo Wells or the Town of Ocotillo down south near plaster city? If you're talking about ocotillo wells, I should be in since we're going out Friday night and staying till Sunday afternoon. I'm very familiar with Ocotillo Wells, where will you be parking at? Main St, Holmes Camp, county line, etc....? I'll be riding a all yellow YZ400 including the big ass yellow desert tank. I'll also be riding in Blue shorts with Red knee braces so keep your eye open for me if for some reason we don't hook up. You mentioned doing a long ride/loop. Where are you planning on going?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
When we get into Ocotillo Wells, blow sand is on the left, we make a right at the old gas station and follow that road, (Wolf Creek I think) for about 7 miles. Just as we reach the train tracks we hang a left and follow the tracks for about a mile and a half or so. We park pretty close to the tracks. The ride goes from there. Not able to do real long loops due to the two stroke and standard tanks! We pretty much run the river bed and any other area we want to tear up. I'll post more when it gets closer so we can tell you what we are driving and riding! Thanks

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Yeah, I know right where you're talking about camping. Will you be riding out towards Devils Slide or Shell Reef or are you staying out in the badlands and planning on riding out towards superstition? We should setup a meeting time and maybe I can hook up with you guys. I usually don't head out for a 1st ride till around 9ish or so due to late night drinking escapades.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have to recant my previous post! It's split mountain road from the 78, go south from there for about 7 miles until the tracks and hang a left. You know the area bette than I do but it sounds like you knew what I was talking about anyway! I'm not sure of the spots you are talking about but we usually ride in the area south of the 78 and northof those tracks, but we are open to expand our rides. We can set up a meeting spot prior to the trip and then venture out for other rides! We usually get an early ride in as soon as we get there becasue we don't spend the night prior.

I'll post a meeting place for everyone that wants to caravan from up north and the southern guys can meet us off the 78 somewhere, we'll set that one up too.

If you're curious, it's map page 410 F-10 San Diego Thomas Guide. Find Split Mountain road and follow it to the end by the Fish Creek Wash. We park and ride just East of there.

Or type in Split Mountain Road in Ocotillo Wells on Mapquest and follow it to the end, you'll see the tracks.
Elk

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Yeah I knew where you were talking about. Do you park as far down as the first bridge for the railroad tracks? I'm guessing the area you're talking about on the south side of 78 is the area commonly called the badlands. Is it a lot of tight canyons and trails that run along the top of narrow ridges? If so that area is fun but I honestly think the best area is north of 78. There's an area called Shell Reef. If you've seen any of the Crusty videos most of the desert shots that aren't dunes is shot there. Lots of fun stuff!!! You guys should be able to make it from where you're camped to shell reef and back, no problem. Especially if you're able to do a fairly straight shot through the badlands to 78 without getting too twisted around. Maybe we could set up like a mid day meeting at the Gas Station/Burro Bend (right on the corner of 78 and Split Mtn. RD) and I could show you the other areas. I've been going out there for about 16 years now and now the place pretty good!!!;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've never rode on the North side of the 78 but it sounds great. We pretty much have a straight shot across the badlands I think, I've been out there about 5 times and am definately not a trail guide at all! I'm just now able to give directions to find where we park!! We'll setup a meet prior to the trip. Thanks for the info

Carlo

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Oh man, if you've never been on the north side of highway 78 I'll put money down that once you do ride over there next time you'll be parking over there. The badlands are fun but the other side is way better!! The bestway to describe it is a disneyland for dirtbikes. There is everything you've wanted except for single track through trees. Actually there are some pretty good single strack trails through and across canyons and ridges that are kinda like the badlands but different. Too hard to describe, just something you'll need to see for your self. The areas in Shell Reef are cool cause if you're a beginner there's lots of stuff to play on and you can watch the pros climb vertiacl cliffs and catch 30' of air on one jump I know of. So there's stuff for everyone there. I'm a climber, not much of a jumper so if you're into really steep stuff I can show you a lot of stuff. If you're a jumper I can still show you a lot of huge stuff, I just won't be the guinea pig on it. There's lots of washes and flat riding as well as loads of whooped out trails. There's some sand to play in too!!!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
We may be changing our parking location!

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
For day runs a good spot to park is at Holmes camp. If you continue on 78 past Split Mtn. Rd. about 1 mile look for a rd on your left witha St. sign saying Wolf Well Rd. Last year they actually paved about the first 50' of the turn off before it goes to dirt. Anyways, turn there and follow that past 2 ridge lines. After the 2nd ridge line look to your right and there's a long row of trees that you won't miss. Park over there. They have tons of tables, cabanas, fire pits, and bathrooms. It's free, 1st come first serve. The weekend you guys are going is considered the holiday weekend for Halloween so chances are it'll be full by Sat. morning but you can pull over anywhere around there. That's a good central area to park for all the good riding areas. Since the weekend you guys are going will probably be packed chances are you will be able to see a lot of really good riders going off at shell reef hitting the HUGE jumps and stuff. It's usually a good show out there in the afternoon. Let me know what you guys want to do and I can probably hook up with you and show you the main spots and stuff.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by sirhk100
If you're a jumper I can still show you a lot of huge stuff, I just won't be the guinea pig on it.
I'm sure Elk or myself will be willing to take on the role of guinea pig as long as they hits are not too huge.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
There's everything from little 10' gaps for kids on 50s to some of the hits that Seth and Cinq. are doing on Crusty. I can show some huge stuff and chances are with that being the 1st big weekend of the year, there will be people there doing them. I can show the gap I blew my knee out on last New Years. It's easy but I don't know if I'll be doing it again? :(

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I called and asked my Zuki if she'd be willing to shoot the gap but all I heard was laughing and then a dial tone! I'll talk her into it, maybe I'll offer some race gas for her tank, that'll sway her!

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
The one I did my knee on was a forth gear double. Not a whole lot of height just a long ways with a wierd angled take off. I'd done it numerous times over the previous years. Just one time I came up short and bounced sideways on the landing. This was by far the hardest wreck I've ever had and I payed for it with my knee and a smashed thumb. It was way worse then the wreck I had about 9 years ago which claimed my other knee. Since this last wreck I've sorta calmed down on the jumping and intensified the climbing. It's not as far of a fall!!;) I could show you all the jumps I used to do and got pictures of but don't do anymore as well as the ones I still do. Shell Reef is amazing cause you can cruise around there and spot ruts all over on cliffs and jumps that are absoluty mind blowing and made by the pros that you see in all those jumping videos!!

How about this hit!!!
playing_through.jpg

Last edited:

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Yeah, that's actually my golf cart. When I got it, it was a white rusting POS with a blown motor, no seats, 4 flat tires, and stock suspension that I broke jumping it at stock height once I got it running. Here's a link to the picture that was actually taken from, click on the bottom one. It's kinda big so be patent.

http://www.neonperformance.com/sirhk/

Last edited:

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Yeah, one day I'll learn how to swing a club just so I could show up and play with my cart. I'll need a cabana for it though to keep the sun off me. Actually I plan on putting a cage on it so I could just put a canopy on that.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
This picture is from the top of the most popular and my favorite hill climb in Ocotillo. The weekend you guys are going the valley to the left of this picture which is huge will be full of people watching bikes try to climb this and hit the numerous big jumps at it's base.
ocotillo.jpg

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I got a tear in my eye looking at that last picture! It's beautiful man, it looks like a slice of Heaven. I'm there.

Elk

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
:( Well...it seems life always has a sense of irony. I have a good chance of going to Ocotillo but it will most likely be Sunday the 28th. My neighbors are going and I'll possibly hitch a ride with them.

Khris,
I think you mentioned you'd be there all weekend. I'd like to hook up with you after you mentioned those good places to ride there.

Top Bottom