Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
If you have a stock KDX head [stock compression] and the throttle response is a bit too much for you --say in loose dirt --an octane booster will help soften the hit & give you less tire spin. High octane fuels burn slower & produce less power in most engines. See Eric Gorr's website & his treatise on Fuels & Fuel Myths.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I believe it's mr. rohrich's treatise.......on mr. gorr's site. ;)

pic pic pic.......

What is it you are looking for? If you're thinking along the line of 'more power'...that's unlikely.

They do make your spark plug look funny, though (some of 'em).

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
if you want more power in a fuel, get one with more oxygen content.

Higher octane will not give you more power. On a stock motor, try a colder heat range plug to help you out. When you have increased the compression, you will then need the higher octane fuels to keep the ping out of the motor.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have tried a variety of Octane boosters and found only one that works. I found my KDX more responsive when running the combination of 93 octane and Pennsoil Outlaw Octane booster. Iknow what other readers have stated but found a definite difference in performance with Outlaw.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: more oxygen

As in 'oxygenated? As in ethanol/methanol etc?

At least, that's what is added in oregon during winter months for 'oxygenation' purposes (for emissions reduction they say).

And it certainly isn't any sort of 'more power' additive. Quite the opposite.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm missing something.......

Oxygenated fuels (as used in oregon in the winter months) are known to be crap. Vehicles run worse with oxygenated fuel. My (used to be) bracket car has fits with it. It's not a radical motor: is 10.25:1 static compression with about 190psi combustion pressure at cranking speeds...about 375HP out of its 340 inches (good enuf for 12.9s in the 1/4 with a 3400lb car).

This is due to........?? Alcohol being hygroscopic? The reduced BTUs available from alcohol?

I don't know that '6% oxygen' number in VP Ultimate is the same thing as an alcohol added and thus termed 'oxygenated' in the crap that comes out of the pumps hereabouts.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I used an octane booster on my old 78 175cc Suzuki to get the recommended octane requirements. I called several of the companys that sell the stuff and most said not to use them in my 2-stroke. One company said it was ok. I did use it at least until the piston seized. I think it was called 'the good stuff'.
tom

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Braahp - If you are going to liberate someone else's words and try to pass them off as your own at least have the decency to give credit to the original author. :silly:

Here's the original source of Braahp's post http://www.groupk.com/tec-gas97.htm

One last thing for future reference. If you are going to steal someone else's words you might want to pick someone who actually knows something about the subject matter, because it's clear these guys DON'T. :confused: :)

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Sorry teacher i should have included credit where credit was due. Didn't think it was neccessary. Just saved me a bunch of typing and its pretty much the general consensus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom