OEM vs. After market fork seals

sj13

Jan 31, 2009
I ordered some MSR seals for my RM forks... I called the dealer and they wont install them because they say aftermarket seals are crap. Plus they would want $160 plus with me just brining them the forks to install OEM seals.

So are OEM the only way to go or are they just saying that to sell more oem parts?

Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
sj13 said:
I ordered some MSR seals for my RM forks... I called the dealer and they wont install them because they say aftermarket seals are crap. Plus they would want $160 plus with me just brining them the forks to install OEM seals.

So are OEM the only way to go or are they just saying that to sell more oem parts?

Thanks

I've used MSR seals on 4 bikes now, and haven't seen a problem with them at all.

I'd say the dealer is making a fair amount more money on the OEM seals.

There is a good video tutorial on youtube about installing fork seals. It's not a hard job, learn to do the work yourself.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
They are wanting to sell parts.That's not to say they are not any cappy seals on the market. I would guess none of the aftermarket suspension shops use OEM seals. I've used aftermarket and OEM, I see no noticeable difference in the life of the two. The dealer is going to say something like," you'll blame us when it leaks and it's the crappy seals you provided". Seals don't last forever no matter the brand.

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Fork seals are really a walk in the park. I can do it in about 15 minutes per leg and Ive only done it twice now. The first time is slow figuring it out. And my kaw manual said to pull this that and the other apart and use special tools but it was about 1/3 as complicated as the manual had it written up to be. Then The local shop wanted $160 to do my rear shock. I paid 40 for the seal and oil and it once again took about 15 min. I think the only way to own a dirtbike is to be your own mechanic.

Top Bottom