Off Road Riding Class and trail ride. N Calif

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
June 29 & 30. Instructor Dave Wood. Former AMA-D36 #1 Enduro and #1 Cross Country rider. Former CMC #1 Moto-Cross. 57 wins in a single season.

August 10 & 11. Woman’s class. Instructors Heather Wilson and Dave Wood. More information will be posted soon at girlrider.net

Learn to ride Technical Trails, Faster and Safer using Less energy!

Off-Road riding class is designed for riders who have completed an Enduro, Cross Country or race Moto-Cross. In addition, experienced trail riders, who enjoy riding challenging trails. You will ride up to 40 miles of technical single track trail :p. One day you will ride with the class, the other day, you will be provided a “route sheet”, for a self guided trail ride, up to 50 miles. You will need a JART holder and odometer. You will need to carry plenty of water and snacks. The class will loop back to camp for a short lunch.

This class is NOT designed for beginners.

Location; Private facility with a awesome network of technical single track trails :cool:, two hours North of Sacramento. This will be a campout ride, Tents, RV’s and Trailers are OK. Lodging is up to an hour away. Bring your own meals.

96db. California State Law, beginning January 2003. Please use a QUITE spark arrestor! FMF Q, Pro Billet…

Questions; dwoodcre@aol.com

Cost $100.00. Riders who have taken a previous class, $75.00. Entry’s are limited.

Please include with your check, your;

Name________________Address____________________________

City_________________State_________Zip___________________

Email________________Bike_______________________________

Class____________________________(AA, A, B or C)

Directions will be provided when entry is received.

Mail entry to; Dave Wood
PO Box 815
Chicago Park, CA 95712
dwoodcre@aol.com

AMA Charter Life member www.amadirectlink.org
D-36 www.ama-d36.org
Member Blue Ribbon Coalition www.sharetrails.org

Sponsors; Mach 1 Motosports, Fox Racing, Red Line Oil, Smith Goggles, Clarke Mfg., Motion Pro and Braking.

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
You consider the wide, machined groomed trails Stonyford offers to be technical trails? Not sure how a private area leads one to assume that we would be riding technical single track trails, at the most popular USFS riding area, in Northern California.:think: Why would one conclude that the legal trails offered at Stonyford are of a technical nature? I would suggest that you will be severly over your head in my class.:p The class on June 29 and 30 is geared towards riders who find enjoyment riding the most challenging trails found anywhere in California. Riders who are looking to improve there technique and riding skills. The ATV routes which they call trails at Stonyford, allow nearly anyone to go fast, regardless of ones lack of skill. :D

When one enters the class one will learn of the location. Those who do attend will understand why riding areas like this are very special! ;)

Dave Wood

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Hi Dave!

Yes, it is me again (Karna) who has always been very interested in taking one of your classes but too scared to actually commit...there are many stories out there about how tough the courses are and I have never felt QUITE ready. Anyways, enough excuses. I know you said that the classes are geared towards riders who have completed an enduro...does a family enduro count? I have ridden in the Piglet twice and am planning on riding in the TrainingWheel's Enduro this weekend. What do you think? SHould I commit to the women's class? Will the women's class be as difficult as the other classes? If you say "yes" then I will mail my check tomorrow! :aj:

I plan on telling others about the courses this weekend so expect many more replies early next week!

Thanks,
Karna

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Karna,

You should ride the "Womans" class in August. The class will be divided into two groups, with one group using easier trails. We will be teaching many of the same skills and techniques, just that you'll have a choice of "easy" or "hard" (FUN) way. More information on the Womans class will be on girlrider.net in a few weeks.

Dave Wood

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Dave, I've been looking for something like this for a while now - it sounds great! Can you give me -us more info? How many ridders per class - what will you be focusing on - do you teach on the trail or before the ride - is there one instuctor or more - I don't race but I ride quite a bit , I quess I would be a C rider - are Cs and AAs riding the same course and if so are the C riders slowing down the ride or getting over there heads trying to keep pace and are the AA rides getting what they need. Last but not least will you be running any more classes soon if some of us can't make this ride? Thanks Dan :p

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Let me chime in as a C rider who took Dave's class in September at Downieville. I asked the same similar questions of Dave before I signed up for the class. He asked if I liked a challenge and I said yes. He fullfilled his end of the agreement. I was the slowest rider in the group of 9 or 10 students but I don't think I was slowing anybody/thing down on Saturday during the instructional part of the riding. Dave's co-instructor(?) had been injured in a head on at the previous class so it was just Dave teaching that weekend. Dave would describe/demonstrate the technique and then we would either ride from point A to point B practicing with Dave working his way thru the group or we would do the drill individually with everybody else watching - don't get nervous:) I thought this worked out very well - good level of individual attention. Later in the day we went on a trail ride to practice the skills we had been learning. Dave 'suggested' which skills to focus on depending on the individual. The trail ride is where I was sort of out of my league speed & conditioning wise. The other students were A & B riders so I brought up the back - my normal slot, just ask RetSenior. Let's just say I didn't get much rest. Towards the end of the day I was in true survival mode and it showed - Ricky1 had to ride my bike up a short root infested hill because I was beat. We did not return to the trucks until dark and I ran out of water & didn't have any trail snacks. From Dave's original post it sounds like that shouldn't be as big a problem since it says you'll loop back. I'm guessing a lesson learned at my expense:)

Day 2 was a blast - only 5 of us including Dave and I was by far the slowest guy. Noticing a pattern here? Great riding, some more instruction/reminders but no drills just great riding. None of the others made me feel bad about holding up the group - I secretely think they enjoyed the rests.

Did I learn any new skills? Absolutely. Did I get my butt handed to me on a platter? Yup. Will I be at the June 29/30 class? No - I'll be in Germany. Have I already asked Dave if there is any possibility of additional dates? You bet. If I can attend another one of Dave's classes you bet that I'll be there.

Am I affiliated with Dave Wood's? Nope - just a satisfied customer.

Brian

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Hey NVR FNSH "Brian" I confirm what you said, Dave's class was excellent. The hardest part is finding more riding time to practice but when riding it all clicks back and I start to do things he taught us. Our Sunday ride was great, the only problem I had was getting dehydrated and weak and having to have Dave ride my bike up a hill. I was drinking a camelback full of Gatorade, that was my mistake, drink plenty of water during the ride and the gatorade after. Look forward to doing another class again if I can find the time.
I am a D36 Senior C Rider.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Not to make this thread sound like a UHF info mercial, you can't go wrong taking any of Dave's classes. Like Brian I was the fouled plug of class that was held at Silver Lake last year. :(

Cut to the chase, I was having one heck of a time trying to keep up with the group. Dave was watching how I was approaching obstacles. He gave me some excellent advise that I have relied on since. My riding has become much smoother than before. If only I would spend more on my Honda I would be a AA rider by now ;) Instead of a spodely C rider.

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Dan,

The class is limited to 10 riders each day.

I may have a co-instructor? I prefer to have the co-instructor demonstrate "surviving the big crash", "encounters with trees" and my favorite "high diving" from ledge trails, sadly, those ahead of me in the points, have yet to step forward and volunteer, there is still time! I suspect, at the womans class, husbands and boyfriends will eagerly volunteer to...

The class is jammed packed with skills, techniques, drills and riding.

Future classes are dependent on demand.

I think the riders who have taken my class, describe it much better than I could.

Dave Wood

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Dave,

Can Justin come to the women's class? He could be used to give demonstrations, I will volunteer him myself :p . Only one thing, I won't allow him to do log crossings (that is how he busted his collar bone at the last class I attended in Oregon). He could ride sweep in one of the two groups to help out with any stuck riders? He is a B-250 but will still be fresh in the seat come August ( I think he will be able to start riding sometime in July depending on what the Doc says next week).

Thanks,
Karna

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Dave, like Karna, I too am interested in the Women's class. Total newbie here, but I've been to the class in Oregon and completed 1/2 of the Training Wheels Enduro this past weekend with no catastrophes. I ride as often as I possibly can.

So when you say the Women's class will be broken into Easy and Hard groups, I sure hope you mean what you say!

Sweep Boy Justin has already proven his skills as Pit Boy Justin, so I second the nomination for his participation. I will watch for info on the Women's Class on girlrider.net and will probably have more questions before then.

Until then, I'll keep riding and work on my endurance. Thanks, Natalie

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
The Womans class will be a lot of fun! We will have Heather Wilson as a co-instructor. The class will provide for those who enjoy riding and wish to improve, but have little or no desire to ride the most difficult trails. The details are still being worked out and will be posted soon at:girlrider.net

The Womans class will accomandate Husbands and Boyfriends. At this time the class will not be set up to teach beginners, this may change? I am referring to those who have never ridden. We do expect that you have a very basic understanding of riding and have ridden dirt roads and trails. That one enjoys riding and that you have a desire to become a better rider. By breaking the class in to a couple of groups the woman who would like to be challenged by more technical trails will not be disappointed.

Dave Wood

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Chiming in here, I too have taken two of Dave's classes. I think taking two is a testimonial in itself. I would sign up for this class in a heartbeat if that weekend was available to me. Hopefully Dave, you will have additional classes.

For concerns of difficulty, Dave's instructional sections are carried out in terrain that allows the rider to learn the new skills without undue risk. And, the skills learned are well worth the money. The trail ride the following day can be a bit of a challenge, but usually it is the individual who puts the most pressure on himself. Classmates, in my experience, are helpful, as is Dave, in helping those less skilled through the difficult parts. But, it isn't a Stonyford/Foresthill/PiPi type of ride. In the classes I took, a lot of time was spent on sidehill trails with very tight switchbacks. I checked with Dave regarding the place he will be using. This area is one I have ridden and it has very technical, but fun trails. The riders that ride this spot and enjoy it have better than average riding skills. Its not dangerous, just very challenging. You will be tired at the end of the day.

Dave is an excellent instructor who communicates the riding concepts well to both beginner and expert rider. By limiting his class sizes, he has time to work with each individual a little if the new riding technique is not understood or executed properly.

phirechick

Sponsoring Member
Jul 3, 2001
I consider myself pretty low keyed, but your comments are plain inconsiderate. I can't believe you bashed on someone for asking about Stoneyford. And as far as Karna inquiring about the June dates, nice answer. You might has well have said that women aren't invited because we suck or that we couldn't hang. Is Downieville so technical, piece of Cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There goes my thought of ever attending one of your classses!!!!! Let the bashing beginning, there goes my mojo!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
While I agree with you about his Stoneyford comments, I don't think that he ever said anything negative about women riders. Karma outlined her current skill level and what she wanted and he suggested which class would be better suited for those criteria.

Anyway, maybe it's a left-coast thing...I'll stay out of it as long as it is civil.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
One of the unfortunate things with this kind of communication is that intent must be carefully construed. I know how Dave has conducted himself both as a racer and an instructor from a couple years' experience. He is a gentleman. He has never, in my experience, ridiculed or berated another rider.

I believe Dave's response regarding Stonyford was not meant to embarass or discount the inquirer, but caution that the area he is conducting his class is significantly more challenging than anything you can experience at Stonyford. I'm sure if this had been a face to face communication, it would not have come across as it did in the written response.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Yea, its hard to convey your emotion into this junk. I wasnt really offended. Ive ridden there since I was little, and I know there are single tracks on steep terrain that no atv could make it on. But stony is probably more known for the wide stuff. As far as the class, I doubt I would have any problems handling it. But it doesnt sound very fun. I compete, but its still about the fun for me. Anyways, this post isnt for junk like im posting, so carry on Mr. Wood.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
slickpuss,
I've seen two of the guys that were in my class at the Wild Boar & Sawmill enduro's. Both guys are A riders. Actually, as hard as the class was for me I had a great time and will do it again in a heart beat.

Just a note - Dave specifically said 'legal' trails when talking about Stonyford......

Brian

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
I should have called this a "REUNION" ride! We have 9 riders returning. We have had over 80 riders attend and over 60% have returned to ride with us again. With five new riders joining us, there are still a couple of spots open, we are going to have a great time enjoying some of the finest trails in California.

Rider has always been an inclusive term to me. I was never aware that "rider" referred to only males. I have never excluded woman from any class. I have had Woman in previous classes, one you will find at the front of the "B" class at D36 Cross Country races and Enduros. I was asked by Woman riders to have a special class that was geared to a much wider range in skill levels,(Including Karna). I have had success by making sure riders know up front, what they are getting into. My class has had a narrow focus on training riders, using difficult and technical trails, my belief has always been when one practices in the most difficult situations, when encountered in an event one sees opportunity when the situation gets ugly. I do not believe it is an insult to any rider to be honest and not take ones money. I want riders to enjoy the class/ride and get a lot out of it. To encourage any rider to attend who honestly presents ones skills as being less than the minumum required would be dishonest in my mind. Woman have asked me to have a class that will be fun for a much wider range of riders and I am insulted for planning and preparing a very special weekend for Woman riders. I think High Lord Gomer summed it up best "Anyway, maybe it's a left-coast thing"!

Not sure I understand the reference to Downieville, I think it is a compliment for the hundreds of hours of volunteer service I have at Downieville? Perhaps it is Thanking Bill Dart and myself for the many trips to Downieville, during the week, to meet with various government agencies and phone calls to get the illegal gate on Lavazolla Rd removed so riders can have access to Lavazolla trail?

Sincerely,
Dave Wood ;)

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Directions for the June 29 & 30 off-road riding class and trail ride will be emailed this week, to those who have pre-entered.

It is not to late to enter the June 29 & 30 class/ride.

The Womans class will be held August 10 & 11. This class will include Woman and Men. The class will be catered, your lunch & dinner on Saturday and your breakfast on Sunday are included. The food is First class, not hot dogs and hamburgers. The cost for the class, food, trail ride and camping will be $150.00. If you have attended a previous class the cost is $125.00. For more information email me at dwoodcre@aol.com

njw

Apr 18, 2001
Dave,

I have riden the Downieville/Gold Lake area many times and have had several run ins w/ our "friend" at the end of the Lavazolla trail. Clearing that up is a big plus. Is there any truth to the rumor that they are trying to close this trail system to OHV travel?

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
The Boxer Wilderness proposal calls for the trails in the Downieville region to become "Wild and Scenic Rivers." This would eliminate OHV use as well as the use of Mountian Bikes. I rode Downieville/Gold Lake this past weekend with Clarke Collins, Don Amador, Bill Dart, Chris Carter...opposing the Boxer Wilderness proposal is a high priority for the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

The Wilderness proposal would also end riding in the Caples Creek/Silver Lake region as well. This area would become get the "Wilderness" designation.

There are several OHV riding areas that would be closed in the event that the Boxer Wilderness proposal is passed. All should be writing letters to there Congressman and Senator Boxer and Senator Fienstein to oppose the Boxer Wilderness proposal. Support "Back Country Recreation".

Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition, at sharetrails.org

I have logged out many of the trails in the last month and all trails are open except Chimney Rock which needs a couple more weeks for the snow to melt.

Top Bottom