Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I'm heading south to do a couple Hare Scrambles but won't be able to do any testing before I leave. I ride a 2001 KTM 400SX, weigh about 165lbs and ride the intermediate class. I was planning on just backing off the clickers almost all the way, but do i need to do anything with the rebound? The tracks will be mostly grass tracks with some mx stuff. Some of the grass track stuff has square edged holes and some of it is real rocky. I don't have enough time on the bike in the outdoors to tell how plush the suspension is. I've only ridden it indoors at a couple arenacrosses and it worked great. Also what should the sag be set at? someone told me 95mm. Is this correct?
Thanks for the help in advance!!

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
95-100mm's is a good general rule of thumb. As for the clickers, I wouldn't just back the compression all the way out and not consider the rebound. You may end riding a pogo stick.

I would make small changes in both compression/rebound and use the first race to fine tune the suspension for the second race.

Just my two cents and yes, you can give me change :)

vetwfo'er

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards, scots steering damper. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

97KDX220, FMF Rev pipe and silencer, renthals.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
You should adjust sag with you in full gear on the bike. Sag with full gear 95mm to 100mm. And then check sag with out rider and it should be about 30mm. If it is much less than that you need a stiffer spring, much more you need a softer spring.

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
I just finished dialing in my 520EXC suspension ...It came with 96 mm of sag with me on board...my dealer said the best was around 94mm...It works, the front end bites better like that...seems it is a trait of PDS bikes..your 400 have the same forks and shock as my EXC, only different valving and springs so i would soften compression a few clicks and rebound a little less for a start on a mx bike then test and fine tune.
Give me news if you try.. :)

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

Top Bottom