Oh I'm so sorry I didn't see you???????

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Well after all the years of riding Street Bikes I finally got to hear the all to famous saying "I didn't see you". I had a older lady pull out in front of me when I was only about 40' away and I was going about 30-35mph and I nailed both front and back brakes and hit the front drivers side wheel and fender on the GMC Jimmy. At impact I was going about 10-15mph and I didn't fall off the bike but It trashed my 04 Yamaha V Star 1100. It only has 3500 miles on it. My left knee that I had 2 operations on took some major impact. The left side floor board is bent upward on about a 60 degree angle and the frontend is trashed. It costed $160 for tow bill, time lost at work,emergency room visit which includes x-rays on my lower back and my left knee and more Doctors to visits and perhaps MRI on my knee and even surgery and even more time missed. Well I guess it's time for legal help! Ugh I hate to do that but she was at fault not me. Wonderful curve on E. Market Street in Akron Ohio. At least I had my helmet on and I was paying close attention otherwise if I hadn't slowed down the crash could have been much worse. Talking about getting freaked out! Instant stops really suck! :bang: Any thoughts about compensation? Have you known anyone that something like this has happened to??? Really all I want is fairly compensated for. Not asking for much but I really hope my bike is reapired/replaced soon.....
I hired a legal firm to handle this mess.....
Take care and ride safe. It saved my @$$! Yep dirt riding sure helps improve reaction time when in a sticky moment on the street.

fndaway66

Oct 28, 2001
Had the exact same thing happen to me. 30-35mph crash, the old lady made a left turn and didn't even see me. I hired a lawyer, mind you I am not the suing type, and asked about the financial background of the lady. I only settled for payment of all my medical bills( 5 broken bones) cost for a new bike (R6). I didn't want to put her out of house and home.

Last edited:

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
After 7 years of riding on the road I gave up a few weeks before my daughter was born in August because of a very close call on my way to work.

I think fndaway66 has the right attitude, get your expenses covered and leave it at that.

Hope everything works out.

P.S. I totally agree with your comment flyboy500 "Yep dirt riding sure helps improve reaction time when in a sticky moment on the street."

Keep safe

droptop

Sep 8, 2004
Glad to hear you made it out with minor injories, the exact same thing happened round here to a friend of the neighbors a couple weeks ago, unfortunatly he didnt make it, he was also doing about 35 when a old lady pulled out in front of him with a mini van.He was about 19 and riding a buddies bike home for him cause the guy was too drunk to ride it himself..what a waste

slodsm

Jul 20, 2004
Glad to hear you made it out ok man. I too have crashed a few street bikes over the last ten years and have been lucky and only gotten road rash out of the deal. Good luck with you knee.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Typical rule of thumb they use to calculate a settlement is 3X the medical expences. That's a starting point and can go up or down obviously. It's a shame that when something like this happens, most insurance comapnies wont even discuss it with you, they want you to get a lawyer, even if you just want the bills paid. Can't really blame them tho, in this sue-happy world they want to make sure that legally, once they pay, it's over and not have to worry about you coming back later for more.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Ask for more than you really want. That way they have room to talk you down. And maybe they won't!

Glad you're OK. My dirt experience has save my azz more than once on the street. Just another great reason to ride dirt bikes.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks everyone! You guys are all very helpful! Happy riding and play safe...
The damages to my bike came to $3061.61 parts&labor.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
My MX skills paid off Sep. 10 last year. I was on my way to work on my Bandit 600, and some guy decided he wanted to share the left hand turn lane w/me. I saw him start to merge and I braced myself. I didn't fall, but my right knee took his fender. Ended up being a hit and run. He knew he hit me, asked if I was ok. Then was gone...
State Farm paid for EVERYTHING. If he had stopped it would have been him paying for it. They paid for lost wages, and my surgery. My bike didn't require any fixing. Just had red paint on it from the car. Never had any luck finding him though...

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
a few weeks ago, i came to a four-way stop. i had my left turn signal on. a girl was driving the car that was stopped to my left. she looked me straight in the eye and waved me through. i pulled out and turned left. she immediately pulled through and nearly hit me as i crossed in front of her. missed me by about three feet. :bang:

Sep 28, 2004
i dont know what to say except that sux and im sorry. ur rite she was at fault and as much as you dont want to take an old lady to court... u really need to ..... sumthing like this happened to my dad when he was like 20 and he won....hopefully you will too! good luck....bye byezza
luv ya,
becki

Top Bottom