oh oh, new fork seals fitted, forks not behaving

RFJ_His_Son

Dec 14, 2001
Hi gang,
Ok, 1991 KDX250SR (upside down forks)
replaced the fork seals yesterday, put 600 ml of 5 weight oil in and rebuilt.
On trying the forks when back on the bike they were not right.
almost no rebound at all, and when bouncing the front end with the brake on they were locked solid.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

RFJ_His_Son

Dec 14, 2001
ok, no takers there. Anyone have a scan of a manual for a 91 KDX (front forks, removal, maintenance and replacement?
Doesn't have to be an SR, as I am sure the front forks are the same as all the 91 kdx250's
Struggling here, had the forks apart 3 times now.

RFJ_His_Son

Dec 14, 2001
well, I solved it. In case this is any use to anyone else struggling here's how I did it.
I drained the fork oil, then put it back in a little bit at a time, while pumping the damper rod up and down until I was sure there was no air in it.
Once I'd done that I put it all together and it still felt a bit stiff, but after an hour in the woods hitting every bump I could find it is supple as anything now (after bleeding the last bit of air out using the screws at the top.
Summary, air in the fork oil, who'dve thought it, eh

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Hey, sorry you got no responses. At least you were able to get it right on your on. That's more satisfying than being told how to do it.

I'll store this bit of info away for my own future reference.

No way would I have attempted the rebuild without a manual and exploded drawing!

RFJ_His_Son

Dec 14, 2001
yeah, only took 3 strip and rebuilds! hehehehehe, I could do them in my sleep now.
I can't get a hold of a manual, apparently it's only in Japanese, and being Scottish, my Japanese is non-existent.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…