Aug 6, 2000
I was hoping to wait till late Jan. or so before I ripped my bike down to the frame for the full resto-rebuild, buuut I blew first gear today at the pit. Its a sand pit and I knew my chifting forks were going, but I've been riding it like that for the past couple monthswith out much trouble other than it not shifting when I wanted it to. I was a pit today, its a sand pit by the way, that everyone goes to to climb hills, I'm talking about 50 to 60ft hills of pure sand (the company doesn't mind us riding there on Sundays) and I went to over to some friends on a small hill and since my kickstand doesn't work there I bury the rear wheel in the sand.

Well when I went to get out (I guy got his Blaster in peanut-butter type mud, it happens a lot) and I went to ride the bike out of the hole in dug, and I was playing the throttle up down to get out and then pop, bang, and a chingling noise followed bike the bucking forward but not going anywheres. I look down praying for a broken sprocket but nothing. I play around in first trying to get her going, but shes barely limping forward, but enough to get it into second. Second runs good followed but 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th running the same. I rode around still stopped a couple times but I had to starts in 2nd, which is no problem because its sand my bike likes startiung in 2nd gear in loose sand.

Well time for me to go to ebay and see if I can find a new tranny now (I was going to rebuild the tranny anyways). I'm stripping the bike down to its frame, and repainting everything and finding new plastics (or used ones in good condition, my side panels are cracked up buy my fenders are good). This is great, I just had my motor bored out a couple months ago and the bike is running faster than ever, I can rip by brand new 125s with ease and have no problems keeping up if not passing the bigger bore bikes (I guess thats where my bikes 210lb wieght full of gas and oil comes in handy).

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have an 80 Yamaha DT175 just like yours. I'm looking for plastic and the pickins are pretty slim. There was a person not to long ago parting out a 79 on Ebay. I think they had a whole bottom end up for auction. I hope the reabuild goes well.

Top Bottom