Ohlins Fork and shock on 95-04 KDX 200?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
yes.

The rear is a no brainer. you may have to modify the pipe to clear the reservoir, but that is it.

Up front do a search for KX forks, Fork swap. Get you tons of info! You will need all the KX hardware like wheel and axle if you are just getting bare forks along with the obvious of clamps.

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
cool, do you think I could just get away with just revalving the shock or would the Ohlin shock work better with the fork and does Ohlins make a shock for the kdx or do you have to use a kx model? thanks (has any one tryed this mod. ?)

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I had the opportunity to ride a national rides kx 250 with ohlins. Its the sweetest encounter Ive had in years... So much to the point of saying that its better than a husaberg, Gas Gas and a KTM 450exc as a 7.5 with the KX a mere 9. It needed the gas gas motor but those Ohlins were as good as gold. 160- 200 lbers dream
great choice think of how trick a kx 200 would be

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
Hey Matt90GT what model shock fit on the kdx was it from a KX or is there one for the KDX. also do you have ohlins front suspension?

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
I was also thinking maybe a 04 kx 250 front end would work better more under the bike and has the honda brake line route. with all the mods tho it might be cheaper to buy a used 99-01 kx 125 and get Jeff Fredette Racing to put the motor in? I don't know what do you guys think or should I just send the the stock fork and shock to MX tech and bolt on a src brace or buy a ktm?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
If you buy clamps, you purchase them for the year of the KX. The KX uses a different size top bearing than the KDX. Thus you must press out your stock steering stem and use it on the KX clamps.

Personally, I would just pick up a set of aftermarkets if going the Ohlins route.

For the rear shock, I got one from a KX. Put the correct spring on there for my weight on the bike, modified the exhaust to clear the reservior and done!

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I just saw a ohlin rear shock for sale on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2444022900

Its from a cannondale but it might work?

-Maurice

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by m0rie
I just saw a ohlin rear shock for sale on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2444022900

Its from a cannondale but it might work?

-Maurice

No, the bottom mount is totally different than the Kawis. that is more Yamaha like on the bottom mount.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I am almost certain I have seen a recent photo of Fredette, and he had Ohlins forks. A quick call would verify it, and I'm sure he would be happy to supply a set of them as well.

And the frame is basically the same perimeter design from circa '94-'95 KX125.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
CR_Racer said:
I was also thinking maybe a 04 kx 250 front end would work better more under the bike and has the honda brake line route. with all the mods tho it might be cheaper to buy a used 99-01 kx 125 and get Jeff Fredette Racing to put the motor in? I don't know what do you guys think or should I just send the the stock fork and shock to MX tech and bolt on a src brace or buy a ktm?

CR...

What exactly are you looking to do?

Do you already have a KDX and want to upgrade it or are you thinking of getting one and then upgrading it?

What kind of power are you looking for. Mellow Linear Power or more punchy power like an MX'er

The reason why I ask is that by the time you buy a KDX, add Ohlin's suspension, pipe, etc, etc. You've dumped enough cash into the KDX that you could've have bought a KTM 200EXC.

or...

If you want more punch... you can do what I did and and buy a KX250 and revalve the suspension so that it's more offroad friendly.

I gone both ways... Upgraded suspension on my KDX and Reworked an MX'er into an enduro/woods bike.

All of the bikes I've mentioned are really great at what they do. You have to make a decision about what kind of power delivery you want.

Linear/Torquey=KDX 200
Light and Snappy=KTM 200EXC
Big Power = KX250

Then decide how you want to ride and then go out and get the combo that best suits your intended goal.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Actually, I see lots of cannondale Ohlins front forks for sale on **** for $300 and they say a Late model CR or CRF triple clamp works, all you would have to do is press the KDS stem into a set of CR triples...

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I found a site that shows the only KDX Ohlins are made specifically for are the KDX250. There are Ohlins for all the KX models though. I'm going to get a used Ohlins shock from a KTM 250 and fabricate a correct sized bottom mount and possibly put a rubber spacer inside the shock to lessen the extended shock length to match my stock shocks length. I think maybe my stock spring will work on it since they are the same diameter. I'll consider swapping them if the Ohlins shock spring is too stiff or soft.

Top Bottom