Birgster

Oct 26, 2000
I'm experiencing oil buildup at the bottom of my air box. 01 300mxc. Anyone else getting this out of the Katoon? Why is this?
Runs very strong and not running rich. Maybe to much oil on the filter?

Birg.

R

RedRider4

Very good guess Birgster! Try using PJ1 air filter oil. It's very tacky and doesn't drip a drop. Be careful not to spray on too much though or your bike will suffocate for air.

MIKE

Nov 27, 1999
Birgster,
This seems to be a normal occurance on KTM,s. It doesn't appear to be air filter oil, it's two stroke oil, don't sweat it just wipe it out when you clean your air filter.

MIKE 2000 KTM 300MXC eastern wash.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mike, could you please explain to me how 2-stroke got on the other side of the carb? I'm very interested in that. Although I''ve never experienced that problem on my KTM, I wanna be ready for when it does.

Redrider has your best advise birg, I also like Spectro cleaner and oil. Dab the cleaner dry before oiling, and I like to let the filter dry a bit after oiling. Take time to put a bead of grease or window sealant around the rim of the filter to insure you have no leaks.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
After oiling the filter, I hang it from a coat hanger overnight, excess oil drips back into the Zip-Lock that I used for oiling, saves quite a bit of oil.

Birgster

Oct 26, 2000
Now that I think of it, the oil does seem like it's two srtoke oil, I don't soak the filter but I'll try hanging it over night. This does not affect how the bike runs so I'm not worried. But how would two stroke oil get on that side of the carb? That would be someting.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
It is the overflow from your gearbox draining into your airbox. I find oil in my airbox if I have crashed the bike upside down, put in too much oil, lay it down to move a log etc. Good way to keep the oil off the trail IMO.

Top Bottom