fadingfastsd

Sep 7, 2005
Hey guys, got a couple questions. I just recently bought my first "new" bike, an 01 CR250. After 3 rides on it, I did my first oil change. I was wondering if its okay just drain the oil, then remove the oil level check screw on the case and fill it up until oil runs out the the hole? Is that accurate enough? I didnt do that last time, I poured in more oil than required (because the bike is leaking oil from the drain plug...its actually back at the dealer getting fixed as we speak.) However, I plan on getting a funnel and measuring the right amount of oil for future oil changes, I was just wondering if there is any pros/cons to adding more oil than stamped on the case?

My second, and more important question is as follows. Let me describe what happened, and I'd like to know if this is normal or not after an oil change:

After changing the oil and starting the bike up in neutral, I engaged the clutch lever all the way, and shifted the bike into first. The bike immediately stalled, as if the clutch was not engaged at all. It did this a couple times. I then started the bike and let it run in neutral and pulled the clutch lever in/out for a couple minutes. It then would not stall after shifting it into gear, but it seems like the clutch is engaging at the very start of the lever pull, rather than in the middle of the pull as it did before the oil change.

Basically, I'm wondering if all this is normal? This is my first oil change on a newer model bike, and I just don't know what to expect. I got to thinking that the clutch is a wet-type clutch right? So if I just changed the oil and let all the old oil drain out, then it would take some time running the engine and engaging/disengaging the clutch to get the plates wet again, and therefore able to keep the bike from stalling when shifting into gear?

Hopefully you guys understand what I mean, I tried to explain this as clear as I could. Any help is definitely appreciated!!!!

Evan

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Did the bike do this before the oil change? It's normal for most wet clutch bikes to lurch a little the first time they are put in gear after sitting as the plates will stick together a bit due to the oil. It should not lurch forward though like the clutch was out when you put it in gear.

So, make sure the clutch is in good shape (not worn out and properly adjusted).
Make sure the correct type of oil is in tanny (and proper amount).

On my YZ after warming up a bit I pull in clutch and wrap the throttle a couple times before putting it in gear (which generally keeps it from lurching any) before I put it in gear.

fadingfastsd

Sep 7, 2005
Hey hamblin, thanks for the reply. No the bike did not do this at all before the oil change. I bought the bike, an 01, from a small reputable local dealer. They go through all their used bikes and ensure they are in great condition when they sell them. (however after doing my oil change I noticed both the oil drain plug and the oil check screw were stripped and leaking oil. Its now back at the dealer getting the bolts replaced and the oil leak fixed.)

The bike had no clutch problems whatsoever before the oil change. Let me clarify what happened...

I started the bike up like normal, pulled the clutch lever in all the way to engage the clutch, and shifted the bike into 1st gear. The bike immediately lurched forward and died as if the clutch was not engaged at all. I tried a couple more times, with it doing the same thing. I then started the bike up and let it run in neutral for a couple minutes, and pulled the clutch lever in/out multiple times while giving it some throttle. Then I shifted it into first. It got better and after a few minutes would ride normally. However, after shutting the bike off and letting it sit for awhile and cool down, the next time I start it it up, it does the same thing! Is that normal? It doesnt have a full ride on it after the oil change if that matters. I also used 85wt Maxima oil as recommended by a guy at the local bike shop for my desert and trail riding.

Also, the clutch lever feels different. Before the oil change the clutch would engage in the middle of the lever pull, and now it engages right at the very beginning. I'm not sure how else to explain it, but the clutch just feels weird now...definitely different than before the oil change.

Any more ideas/info about this!??

Thanks again!
Evan

#1YZ125RACER

Feb 1, 2005
as for the oil level and filling it till it leaks out the side you are ok..
its prolly just a freak happining....what kind of oil did you use?
i wouldnt panic

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
I have a 2001 KX250 that tends to do this as well....once the bike warms up....no problem....and if I blip the throttle while the bike is cold....the lurch is reduced and it does not stall.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
I use Bel-Ray 80wt for 2-strokes and didn't notice any difference in engagement; just shifted better than the stock oil it came with.

What is (was) the temperature? I do know wheni ts cold out and the bike is first started the initial "stiction" of the clutch plates is more (worse?) until its warmed up a bit. In those cases I often put it in gear, pull the clutch and rock the bike back and forth a couple times to loosen them, then start it.

Top Bottom