76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's the second lowest on mine. Just start pulling water pump bolts one at a time. Eventually, you'll hit one that drains the system. Heck, maybe the bike doesn't have a drain bolt, just pull the whole water pump cover.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I just took the pump cover off. NO DRAIN BOLT. You were right. It drained very little, only took about 1 liter when I filled it back up, is that normal?

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Dude, you need a manual for your bike. Most of your basic maintenance answers are in there. If you don't have one then your best question would be where to get one.

Good luck.

rjardo

May 21, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
What's your evidence?

don't really have any, I have just always been told that friction modifiers in auto oil are not good for clutch plates. probably by the guy who was selling me the yamalube. :think:

If it works for you, keep using it.

The oil plug incident, however, I saw for myself and laughed. (wasn't there when he did it, but saw the damage)

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
K, guys to bring back an old topic. Indy did you say you use standerd Valvoline? I just got to the plug and draind the oil. It was thick. and there was black and swirls of tan. Like Coffee with milk color. I have valvoline in the garage now.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Swirls of coffee coloring in the oil is an indication of water in the oil. If you don't see any water coming out of the weephole under the water pump, I would pull the water pump cover and check for any pinholes in the casing. These can be fixed with epoxy. If nothing turns up, monitor your water level very closely. If you notice any loss of water, you'll start having to take things apart until you find the leak.

cread

May 27, 2007
If it was my bike man I would go down to the local bike shop and get you some good motorcycle trany oil(bell-ray,silkoline,spectro,maxima) talk with the parts guys they will hook ya up. I use silkoline semi syn. its like 10bucks and works great. And change it often cuz you clutch wears in the oil so keep it clean. Im a professional mechanic and in my mind always use what the manufacture says to. The coolant, if you use a name brand you should be fine. Most all coolants these days are safe with aluminum. Get the 50/50 because they use distilled water in it and prevent mineral deposits and crosion. If you mix it mix it with more water then coolant in the summer because water cools better. Just check levels often and top off as needed because water will evapoate. Top off with distilled water only you can get a gallon of it at wall mart for a buck or two. I always put Red line water wetter in with in helps keep it cool. This all might cost a little more but it works great for me and my friends. And we ride alot more then we work on our bikes. I dont want to say that other guys are wrong i just would not do it. If it works for them good for them. Keep in touch with you parts guys at the shop they will help you or ask to talk to the mechanics they are a good source. Well good luck with everything and happy riding.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
keefbikes said:
K, guys to bring back an old topic. Indy did you say you use standerd Valvoline? I just got to the plug and draind the oil. It was thick. and there was black and swirls of tan. Like Coffee with milk color. I have valvoline in the garage now.

Yep.. Actually, I've been using the store brand from Advance Auto. But it's made by the friendly folks who make Valvoline.

Been working fine for me... I also change it quite frequently.. Every other ride or so.

Top Bottom