76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Why do you need an oil cooler? If you have to have one, any fluid-air heat exchanger will work as long as the size is appropriate. Even automotive oil and trans coolers will work. For location, it would be best to put it on the oil line going from the sump to the pump.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like 76GMC1500 said, I wonder why you need an oil cooler. It is NOT a good idea to over cool the oil. You want the oil to run 140 to 180 degrees. If it runs too cool many of the contaminents (fuel and water) won't be evaporated out and the oil will suffer.

You also need to be careful that you don't create a problem instead of solve one. While an automotive trasnmission cooler would certainly work from the perspective of cooling the oil it may not be rugged enough for off road use. Having a thin walled cooler hanging out in harms way could easily result in a massive oil leak, which could run you out of oil before you realized it, which could destroy your engine.

I am not at all familiar with your bike but I would NOT recommend putting anything between the sump and the pump, unless there was a second pump in the sump. Oil pumps can generate great amounts of pressure on the output, but their ability to suck is very limited. Even a small restriction on the input can dramatically reduce the flow rate.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The 1983 XR350 had limited oil capacity and was prone to overheating in deep sand, mud or serious racing conditions.

fletcher. Do a google search on Al Baker's XR's Only. They used to sell a oil cooler kit for your bike. The oil lines tap into the oil gallerys on the right side case just below the oil filter. The cooler itself mounts on the front forks. If you can't find them online, PM or email me, I should have their phone number in my rolidex.

If you are using your bike for normal trail riding and don't encounter a lot of mud or deep sand, you may not need a cooler.

Just my $.02

fletcher

Dec 28, 2006
thanks guys and yer my bike does run hot as it has a domed piston and the oil is hot enought even in standard engines of this model to melt the plastic oil dip stick ,thanks ol89r ill try xr only if no good ill get back to you .

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
fletcher said:
tried to find one on als website but nothing showed up ol89r, but thanks anyway .

fletcher.

I doubt they would still list one in their parts list, you will probably have to call them and ask if they can put one together for you. Their phone # is: 760-244-2626.

You could also check Hayden. They make all sizes of coolers. www.haydenauto.com

Parts unlimited sells oil coolers and you could google a company named Jagg if all else fails.

Good luck. :cool:

fletcher

Dec 28, 2006
just checking your mess you wrote to me ol,89r about fitting the oil lines onto engine below the oil filter , but there is no plugs or gallerys there ,or on the engine at all ,only the line that goes from the crank case to the top end .

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
fletcher said:
just checking your mess you wrote to me ol,89r about fitting the oil lines onto engine below the oil filter , but there is no plugs or gallerys there ,or on the engine at all QUOTE]

fletcher.

You have to drill and tap into the oil gallerys and install fittings in there for the oil lines to attach. The gallerys are the two elongated bumps on the case just below the oil filter. I will look at my notes to see if I can find you a drawing or a picture.

fletcher

Dec 28, 2006
i had a look all around the engine , and cant find any oil gallerys anywhere so ill think i will give it a miss , the only oil feed is the pipe going from the crank case to the top of head.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
flecher.

The oil gallerys are not visible from the outside of the case. Only an elongated bump under the oil filter. You have to remove the case and look at the inside to determine what gallerys to tap into. Still looking for my notes on that engine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom