redrider100

Aug 17, 2003
Just yesterday I got a 2002 KX100, it was a used bike so I decided to change the oil. I drained the oil, and then proceeded torque the bolt to the reccomended 14 foot pounds. Before I got it all the way torqued, the bolt head twisted off!!!!!! So my dad drilled a hole in the rest of the bolt and tried the easy out bit to get it out. Then the easy out bit snapped off in the bolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang: . So now I have no idea how to get this stupid bolt out of the engine case :| . Please, someone help me out.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The first thing you need to do is have the torque wrench checked. 14 ft/lbs is not that much torque. I don't know what the bolt diameter is, but it still should not be able to have been snapped off at 14 ft/lbs.
It has been a while since I had this happen, but I seem to remember getting a CARBIDE bit and drilling through the broken easy-out, but that was several years ago. Hopefully, someone with more recent experiences will post. Good luck.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
Bite the bullet on this one and take the whole bike to a machine shop I am sure it will be relitively inexpensive for them to fix with the engine in place compared to ruining a case.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
redrider100 said:
. So now I have no idea how to get this stupid bolt out of the engine case :| . Please, someone help me out.

redrider.

Check to see if there is a welding shop in your area that does tig welding. If so, have them weld a little bead on top of the broken bolt until the bead extends out of the drain hole.

Then take a nut and drop it over the bead and weld the nut to the bead. While the case is still warm from welding, unscrew the nut/stud.

Works every time. :cool:

BTW, clean the cases very good so that there is no oil around the drain bolt. Also, remove the fuel tank and anything else that may leak so they can lay the bike on it's side to access the drain bolt.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, either try drilling it with a left hand drill bit, or weld a nut to the broken stud. The thing is though, with the head snapped off, there should be really no tension on the bolts stud, you should be alble to tap a shap punch or screw driver with a hammer while turning it and get it to start backing out. So I dont know why the EZ out would have snapped. You could also try punching the broken extractor through the hole and drilling the hole out bigger for a larger extractor, youll have to recover the broken bit, and flus all the shavings out of the case.
I dont see why you would have to TIG weld to the bolt if its a steel bolt, or is the drain plug aluminum?
I agree, 14 lbs / sq" sould not have even snapped a plastic bolt. Are you sure it was the right bolt?
Did it cross thread?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
JasonJ said:
I dont see why you would have to TIG weld to the bolt if its a steel bolt,QUOTE]

Jason, you don't have to TIG weld it if there is no thread exposed in the drain hole or if the stud is broken above the gasket surface, But, other types of welding produce spatter that can stick in the threads and make it harder to back the stud out. TIG is much cleaner and easier to control if you have to weld down inside of the drain hole.

Your method of tapping it out with a punch also works good if the stud is not tight. :cool:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Ahh I see where your coming from. Yeah I dont undertand why the stud would be tight but then why did the EZ out snap unless it snapped when he was hammering it in?

Top Bottom