atcomx98

Jan 21, 2007
Hey guys i just changed my oil on my 2004 cr125r and when i put the bolt back in it screwed all the way to the top but doesnt tighten. My dad says it is stripped. Is there anyway to fix that?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Install a Heli-coil. Stainless steel thread that replaces the original thread. Most shops can do this for you or you can purchase a kit at many auto parts stores.

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
helicoil for sure - I just went thru the same thing.
Only difference was I actually went to an auto parts store and got a new self tapping drain pug that was 17mm O.D. and had a smaller 10mm innner bolt. the outer threads were tapered and had thread sealer/locker on it and self threaded into place snug flat against the case bottom. it stays put and you simply remove the inner 10mm bolt to drain the oil. Pretty simple deal, really, I chose this because I could not find a 14mm (? cant remember for sure) helicoil that would have used the stock size drain plug.
Either way you need to drill out a bit more material for the oversized threads, so take your time, line up square and flush the case a few times with seafoam or similar to get all the chips out.

Last edited:

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
This happened to me a while back, but instead of helicoiling the crankcase thread with the engine in situe, I separated the two cases because I was worried about small metal fragments getting into my engine and facking everything up! Wish I just done it the simple way now *sigh*

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Morvo said:
This happened to me a while back, but instead of helicoiling the crankcase thread with the engine in situe, I separated the two cases because I was worried about small metal fragments getting into my engine and facking everything up! Wish I just done it the simple way now *sigh*
Woa,
that's pretty crazy man.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Morvo said:
I separated the two cases because I was worried about small metal fragments getting into my engine QUOTE]

If you load the tap with heavy grease and blow compressed air into the oil filler hole while tapping, all the chips will blow out and stick to the grease.

Self-tapping bolts will work in many cases but on some engines the material is too thin at the drain hole and the tapered self-tapping bolt will split the drain hole. The heli-coil uses a special tap made just for heli-coils. Once the insert is installed the thread is back to the stock size and the stock drain plug and washer can be used.

freakystyley

Nov 27, 2006
Exactly, Ol'89r...I was in a jam and couldn't find a stock sized h.coil. I drilled out and tapped enough to get the self tap started and to reduce the stress on the case.
I have also seen threaded sleeves that install with a wide flat screwdriver looking tool - similar to a helicoil but these are all one piece and not 'slinky' like. just another option, I guess...

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Yeah helicoil is the best way to go, my friends one jug bolt was stripped and had to be taken out and helicoiled in. It works very well and holds very strong.

Top Bottom