nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
hey guys ok well heres the problem. we stripped out my oil pan drain so we put a helicoil in it and fixed it. i put a new bolt which is the right size and a cruch washer. THE BIKE still drips oil out mabe 3 or 4 drops a min. i am racing this weekend and really need my bike. is it ok to still ride it as long as i keep checking the oil.

also i had the oil drained out for about 3 or 4 days waiting on the bolt to come in and after we put it in and filled er up everytime i would kick my rmz the kickstarter would not come all the way back up like it got stuck. was that beccause the motor was not oild up and what not. thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You most likely rethreaded the drain hole crooked or installed the helicoil crooked. Try using two crush washers instead on one. If the drain plug is not seated down correctly, it could come loose. Be sure to use the recommended OEM crush washer and always use a new one.

Your kick start return spring may have broken. The amount of oil in the case will not affect how the k/s lever returns.

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
ok thanks well after i took the screw out the helicoil has started to come out. how do i get that out to put a new one in without stripping the threads. if anyone who lives in louisville kentucky and can help me fix this please help.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nickman1209 said:
the helicoil has started to come out. how do i get that out to put a new one in without stripping the threads. QUOTE]

Just grab the part of the helicoil that is sticking out of the drain hole with a pair of side cutters or pliers and unscrew the helicoil like you would a bolt. After you remove the old helicoil, run the helicoil tap through the drain hole to clean up the threads and install a new coil.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nickman1209 said:
since the oil tap may have put the threads in crooked wont puttin the helicoil tap back in straight mess up the threads?

You don't retap the threads you only run the tap through the already tapped hole to clean the threads up. If the hole was tapped crooked you will have to have the drain hole welded up and retapped straight. Sounds like the helicoil was not installed correctly. Any good tig welder/machine shop can weld up the drain hole and drill and tap it straight. They will also have to spot face the area where the crush washer goes.

You can try cleaning up the threads and using another helicoil first before going to the trouble of welding it. While the helicoil tap is threaded in the drain hole, look at the tap. If it was installed crooked, it will be obvious.

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
ok thanks i will do it. i appreciate your help.also there seems like there are some metal piecies everytime i drain the oil they are on the bolt what could that be from. they also show up in the filter. there are not to many i was just wondering someone told me it was probably from the clutch because its the same oil.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
For the Heilcoil problem, if you reinstall a new helicoil, use plenty of Loctite. It will help keep it from leaking and backing out. For the Loctite to work properly, both the Helicoil and the case have to be perfectly clean - it won't bond if there's oil there. The best way is to turn the bike on it's side for a while so the oil doesn't keep contaminating the threads as you clean them. Use Brake Kleen or starting fluid to clean everything with. If it is tapped at an angle, you can try using cork type gasket material (local auto parts or hardware store should have it in sheets) and a large washer. The cork should be thick enough to seal the gap caused by the misaligned threads and the washer will give it greater surface area. The oil should be changed afterwards to flush out any crap that may have gotten in from cleaning the threads.

As far as the metal shavings, if it just started after the fouled up drain plug, it could be resdue from tapping for the Helicoil. Or it's possible your replacement bolt is too long and contacting something inside the engine. That could also account for the kick-starter problem. I would suspect they are related, but you may end up having to at least pull the right side cover to inspect the kickstarter to determine the problem.

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
k well i apprecitate your help. the kickstarter dose not get stuck anymore. it really wasnt doing it everytine just every once in a while.

Top Bottom