ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Hi y'all,

I was just wondering how important y'all think the washer is on the drain plug.

As I was changing the oil on my 98 220 the washer pretty much fell apart as I was unscrewing the drain plug.

I replaced the drain plug w/o the washer, torqued it to spec, and filled her up with oil. Took her for a spin up and down the street and no leaks thus far.

If the the consensus is that the washer is critical, I'll replace it before I ride an Enduro next weekend. Otherwise, I'll leave it the way it is.

Thanks for your comments.

Later,
Chuck

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The original washer was copper, I did try to put a neoprene one in it's place, and IT has a slight drip. By all means, put a washer back

xrdaddy

Sep 3, 2003
don't worry about it, put a new washer in the next time you change the oil. I found mine in the oil pan after I completed the last oil change. Rode around for 100 miles with no problem - next time I change the oil, I'll put the washer back on before I tighten the drain plug. It does serve a purpose for torqueing the plug and saving the case threads, etc. but the drain plug will hold and not leak without it.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I seem to remember someone here suggesting a new washer with every oil change, but I cant remember why. anyone else ever heard that? Ive always used the same one and havn't seen any problems yet.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
92065-058 GASKET,10.5X16X1

Is the buykawi pn and description.

...which is to say there IS one.

For the sake of general consensus (not because I think it's a good idea), I haven't had a gasket on my drain plug since oil change #1. That's been a few years..........

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Thanks for everyone's input.

Since many of you guys are running w/o one with no ill effects, I think I'll do as xrdad suggests. That is, to not worry about it for now and replace it the next oil change.

CC, thanks for the part #.

I'll price it from my local Kawi dealer and see if it would behoove me to just get one from Autozone. They've got a gazillion different sizes and materials available in a tray behind the counter. (I had to pick one up for the wife's minivan not too long ago)

FWIW, the washer that disintegrated on me was aluminum.

Thanks again for everybody's help. :thumb:

Ride on,
Chuck

Top Bottom