YZrider250

May 17, 2006
My bike has been showing signs of rich jetting, so the other day I went in and changed it up a little. The main jet that was in there before was a 178. I decided to put a 172 in to lean it up a bit. Before all this, one of the reasons I knew it was running rich was because oil was dripping out of the tube (I guess you could call it an overflow tube) that drains all of the excess oil out of the cylinder. I rode the bike around today with the 172 jet in it, and came back and shut the engine off. In just 5 minutes, there was a bigger puddle of oil on the ground then there ever was before I tried leaning it out. My question is, could there be something else causing it to do this? I'm running the bike at 40:1. Any help would be great.

P.S. If it helps any, the air temperature around here is 95-100 degrees. My pilot jet is a 48. The bike is an '06 YZ250.

jefflesh

May 2, 2006
YZrider,

I just bought a new KX250 and I am having the same problem, I moved the clip up one position today to lean it out, I rode it a little, will ride more tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The warmer the temperature the leaner you need to jet. I think the best way to go about it is to start from the pilot jet and work your way up. The pilot jet being too big is usually the cause of most of the spooge problem.

YZrider250

May 17, 2006
Jefflesh, I would appreciate to hear how it all went. I havn't messed with my jet needle yet. Maybe thats my problem.

KX02, I had already went down from a 50 to a 48 on my pilot. Tomarrow I'll get a 45 from my dealer, and see if that helps.

Thanks guys.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Oil dripping from this tube is a common thing on a bike with hours on it!! It's not a sign of running rich, It's excise oil from the power valve assy. Read your plug if you think it's rich or lean!!!!

uhlanmc

Aug 23, 2005
My YZ does the same thing and I'm all the way down to a 42 pilot, 172 main, needle 2nd from the top. I ride above 4500ft elev. My plug looks good, but today I'll do another plug check. I may do a top end soon as well 30 hours on it. What year is the bke?

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
YZrider250 said:
My bike has been showing signs of rich jetting, so the other day I went in and changed it up a little. The main jet that was in there before was a 178. I decided to put a 172 in to lean it up a bit. Before all this, one of the reasons I knew it was running rich was because oil was dripping out of the tube (I guess you could call it an overflow tube) that drains all of the excess oil out of the cylinder. I rode the bike around today with the 172 jet in it, and came back and shut the engine off. In just 5 minutes, there was a bigger puddle of oil on the ground then there ever was before I tried leaning it out. My question is, could there be something else causing it to do this? I'm running the bike at 40:1. Any help would be great.

P.S. If it helps any, the air temperature around here is 95-100 degrees. My pilot jet is a 48. The bike is an '06 YZ250.

That does not mean its rich; how is the bike running? What does the plug look like?

My '06 YZ250 always drips a bit after a good ride.

YZrider250

May 17, 2006
DLHamblin said:
That does not mean its rich; how is the bike running? What does the plug look like?

My '06 YZ250 always drips a bit after a good ride.

The bike is running ok, however besides the fact that its dripping a lot, its still showing other signs of running rich (not too bad though) which I'm in the process of fixing.

I knew a little bit of oil out of there was normal, but with the amount that came out of it the other day, I didn't think that was quite right. I thought that if your ran rich, you will get more oil buildup, therefore having more oil drip out of that tube. Guess I was wrong.

Top Bottom