mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
i was checking over my 05 kx250f and the threads that the bolts go into to hold the cap on are gone, if i take it in is it possible to get this fixed? thanks

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've bought Helicoils at my local car parts store. They're simple to install. You may want to remove the right side cover so you can really flush any shavings out from the drilling/tapping process without worring about them going into the engine.

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
ill just cover the area with a custon cut peace of ducttape, so you think this will be pretty simple im 13 and i can do most of the maintanence on my bike well and im well minded with that stuff, should i just folow the instructions? and is it different with aluminum?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Just follow the instructions. I don't know about your bike, but one of the bolt holes on my Yamaha is not a blind hole (blind holes don't go all of the way through, they're the easiest). It goes through to an oil passage. Are any of the bolts significantly longer than others on the cover? It would be difficult to flush chips out of this passage with the cover installed which is why I suggest removing the cover. The passage on my Yamaha is also after the oil filter so any chips left in it will go through the engine. It usually involves draining the transmission oil, draining the coolant, removing the water pump cover, removing the brake pedal, and then a bunch of bolts. During installation, you'll need to rotate the water pump impeller so it lines up with the gear on the crank as you install the cover which is why you remove that cover. A new side cover gasket is inexpensive.

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
the bolt hole doesn't go all the way through, its about a inch in until it ends , and the 2 bolts are the same length

heres a pic of the oil filter cap if it helps

2005%20kx250f_e.jpg

Top Bottom