boardrider

Mar 16, 2005
So after finally riding my 85 rm250 (1st time ever BTW) I want to stay on top of maintenance. The bike has been totally rebuilt and who ever put it together may not have tightened it down enough. I lost a few bolts (found most I think) and will loc tite them down. Anyways... There is oil (is it oil?) spraying out from from where the pipe connects to the engine in the front. This old bike has a gasket instead of O-rings, is it possible I just need to replace that? Or I was thinking maybe it wasn't tightened down enough from the rebuild ... I will try a tighten before the gasket. Also could the springs up there be the culprit of a bad seal? What are the potential problems from loosing fluid at this location? Is it easy to refill? Oh yeah what is it? Gear oil? Thanks in advance.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
That oil is unburned pre-mix so there is no need to refill anything. The cause of the oil will likely be jetting that is a tad rich for your riding style. The leak could be caused by any of the things you mentioned. I would throw a new gasket and springs on since it's cheap and then if it continues to leak you can seal it up with some high heat liquid gasket. As for the rich jetting I would leave that alone for a few rides until you actually start to ride a bit harder and see if that clears up your "spooge" problem.

Top Bottom