Dip_Dog

Apr 10, 2007
Hey,

I'm changing the oil in my 1993 YZ 250 for the first time but I don't have a manual on it. what kind of oil do I use? I heard people saying use car oil but I think I would like to use what was made for my bike. do anyone know? :ride:

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Getting a Service Manual is the best thing to get because using a Service Manual tells you what kind and how much oil to use.

That said, Bell Ray Gear Saver Oil in 80w or 85w (dont confuse this oil with 85w gear oil) will work just fine.

Dip_Dog

Apr 10, 2007
Thanks

So it would be good to get the manual. I have a question? what is the difference in the trans oil, gear saver oil, and just gear oil?

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Dip_Dog said:
So it would be good to get the manual. I have a question? what is the difference in the trans oil, gear saver oil, and just gear oil?

Gear Saver oil protects against the shock of the gears coming into contact with each other when you are shifting.

You can use motor oil (not the kind with friction reducers) or ATF fluid, or gear saver from bel ray or another company's oil

Gear Oil at 85w is like molasses. Gear Saver Oil from BelRay at 85w is like 10w30-40 motor oil. They're two VERY different kinds of oil.

Motul, Amsoil, PJ1, and a ton of other makers make transmission oil. Yamalube is also a good oil to use, in my opinion.

Top Bottom