trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Hey all!
I'm getting worried about an on-going issue I've been having for a little while. If I lay the bike over in a corner and the engine is still running, engine oil finds its way to the airbox by that Y tubing that connects the head and airbox. So I normally clean up the airbox and remove the cap on that tubing and the remaining engine oil escapes. Is that normal? I know four strokes aren't meant to run upside down, but does something require fixing?
Thanks for your time!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
trial_07 said:
Hey all!
I'm getting worried about an on-going issue I've been having for a little while. If I lay the bike over in a corner and the engine is still running, engine oil finds its way to the airbox by that Y tubing that connects the head and airbox. So I normally clean up the airbox and remove the cap on that tubing and the remaining engine oil escapes. Is that normal? I know four strokes aren't meant to run upside down, but does something require fixing?
Thanks for your time!

I saw a kit on a website a couple weeks ago that would eliminate the breather hose that connected to the airbox.. Seems like a good idea to me, but they wanted way more for the kit than I thought was reasonable.. Seems like a guy can do the kit on his own if he's not concerned with having anodized billet plugs.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
So oil escaping by there would be a common thing?

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
This will happen when oil in the valve cover pools or collects at the connection point with the bike running (usually happens when it is laid over or once my case stood up me on an up hill climb then laid over). Make sure you have the hoses routed correctly. The lower hose is to catch the oil before it reaches the airbox. I believe this is normal for a fall only. Make sure to keep the tube clean and empty to allow the oil to go somewhere.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks for the tip. I'll check if the routing is as supposed to be.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
Check your owners manual. Usually the hose will come out of the valve cover and dip down to the tee, then one hose will go down to the catch tube/drain and the other should go up to the air box. By putting the tee at the lowest point after the valve cover, it creates a "trap effect" sending it to the drain tube for later removal.

Top Bottom