Oil in crankcase....

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Ok, I have tranny oil in my crankcase. My bike is a 89 rmx250. I just fixed it, broke it in yesterday. After break-in, I changed the oil, and I let it all drain out, and put the specified 650ml in. Let it cool off for awhile, then take it for a spin. Runs fine, I ride around for a little while trying to finish the break-in. It runs great all day, I have no probs, starts 1st kick everytime.

But today is a different story. Will not start for anything today. 1st thing i do is check the plug.. Milky grey wet substance all over the plug. Not again... :( Last time it did this the oil blew thru the powervalves and i changed the plug and its fixed.. This time, the oil will not come out of the crankcase. Its sitting in the bottom and i can hear it sloshing around (100% positive it is NOT gas) and i went through 5 plugs, everytime i change it, it doesnt even backfire or anything and it comes out with the milky grey stuff. This is my oil, I have a waterleak and my tranny oil is the exact same look, taste and smell.

How do i get the oil out?? I would rather not pull the top end if possible, any suggestions?? and how did it get in there??

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I would guess that there is water coolant leaking through the head gasket. Or there is oil leaking past the main seal on the clutch side, probably the right side.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
You have problems for sure. Fixing the various leaks should be top priority. Water leak into cases could well be waterpump seal.

It sound as if also the RHS crank seal is leaking oil in. But it could also be a head gasket water leak but you swear your taste buds could detect the diff between tranny oil + water vs residual 2 stroke oil + water then I won’t deny you. (But perhaps your head was a bit warped & even a new gskt didn't seal it properly).

So either way pull the clutch cover & check/replace the pump seal, & I don’t know the RMX, but sometimes you can do the RHS crank seal in place

Oh yeah & don't try fork oil. It tastes terrible!

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I would say a water pump seal leak,which coolant is going into the tranny.It also sounds like you have a crank seal on the tranny side that is leaking too.That is why your plug looks milky.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
my buddies rm125 had a waterpump seal leak. Ran fine, no stating problems at all, but when he drained the oil, wow, not to metion the amount was more it was "milky" gray. It will be obvious if it is this seal, at least it usually is. As for the other seals, if it the WP seal, then its probably the RHC seal. If its not the WP seal, its probaby the head gasket, see what im getting at?

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
I have narrowed down the water leak to be the waterpump seal. So I will fix that, but that isnt going to get the bike started. :moon:

I would like to know, if my RH seal was bad, why wouldnt the oil all rush into the crank when I poured the oil in, instead of waiting a day and then going in overnight?? Because it ran all day when I changed it with NO oil and no problems. Also, an interesting thing, it never leaks oil into the cases unless I overfill the oil. If I dont put too much oil in, it runs fine and no oil gets in the crank. So I am guessing I overfilled the oil, but why would that cause oil to get into the crank? Is it possible there is a vent somewhere that is blocked causing pressure to build and push the oil into the crank??

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…