Oil in radiator???

kelso503

Nov 25, 2007
I have read all of the water pump seal posts that i would stand to read and none of them seemed to mention getting oil in the radiators... I have the opposite problem that most others have, the oil in the tranny looks fine but their was what looked like tranny oil in the radiators??? I didnt find this untill i went to change the coolent. Any ideas on how it may have gotten their other than someone playing a terrable joke on me?

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Ya, I'm guessin some of your buddies or maintenance guys are either playing a cruel joke or just have no idea what they're doing.

kelso503

Nov 25, 2007
could it be caused by over filling the tranny or somthing?? I just bought this bike and when i looked in the radiator pre sale it looked fine... im trying to get the bugs worked out but this one has me stumped i guess im just gonna have to put everything back together and flush it all out clean, start over and see where im at...

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
May be a leak at the head inner o-ring... least wise that's what seemed to be the issue with the '06 YZ125... by the time I checked pretty much pitting and erosion made sealing difficult. In an emergency I wrapped the inner o-ring with teflon tape which helped fill some of the voids where metal had been removed. Got us thru the season and actually similar issues happened with he '05 YZ250... Pump seal will leak into the trans which is vented to atmosphere. Leaking head gasket more often than not will leak inward toward the cylinder side when "hot" and oil will leak outward into the cooling system when cool... now this is a guess based on symptoms.... good luck.

kelso503

Nov 25, 2007
thanks very much when i disassembled the top end the inner o-ring was not in great shape so hopefully that is the problem...

kelso503

Nov 25, 2007
so i put it all back together with new gaskets and made sure everything was free of contamination. went riding yesterday :ride: and the coolant is clear and i did notice a increase in power so i must have had a blown inner o-ring like you said thanks a tun buddy... :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…