jdager

Apr 26, 2008
Hi all,
this is probably not the right place for ths, but I am looking for a little help. I just purchased a home fabricated dune buggy. the engine and transmission in it are from a 83 polaris 250 fourwheeler. the engine has oil injection, and I want to remove this feature, and just run premix, as within 5 minutes of riding it, the line had already broke. what do I need to do to run without the pump? should I just plug the hoses and leave it, or completly remove the pump part and plug the engine? what is the air hose looking thing going into the rubber boot just past where the carb hooks up, and what do I need to do with that?
thanks for your help
Jim

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Be careful. Some oil injected engines have crankcase injection as well as intake. The hose going in behind the carb is the intake portion. If there's another hose running in down at the bottom of the engine, you have oil from the pump lubricating the crank bearings there. If you remove it, you could seize the crank. IMO oil injection is a wonderful thing. You get the correct mix for whatever the rpm and throttle position are at any point in time. The oil injection on my 73 varies from about 100:1 at idle, to as much as 20:1 at full throttle.

If the pump does not lube the crank on your engine, you can safely plug off the lines, disconnect the throttle cable from the pump, and run pre-mix. I would leave the pump in place though.

Top Bottom