oil leak.. exhaust/crank case tube

maja7904

Dec 3, 2009
a week ago just bought a 2001 yz 125. Right into shop for oil change in gear box, new spark plug, and cleaned air filter. I have run it 3 times for about 10 mins and everytime oil is all over my swing arm, barke caliper, and rotor from the rear of exhaust. as well as where the can is screwed together! And a few drops will come out from black tube coming from bottom of crank case! Is this just to much oil in fuel mixture? Or is it to rich and not buring it all off? It seems to pool in my exhaust and then drip out of the can when I park it in the garage .

maja7904

Dec 3, 2009
maja7904 said:
a week ago just bought a 2001 yz 125. Right into shop for oil change in gear box, new spark plug, and cleaned air filter. I have run it 3 times for about 10 mins and everytime oil is all over my swing arm, barke caliper, and rotor from the rear of exhaust. as well as where the can is screwed together. And a few drops will come out from black tube coming from the piston chamber. Is this just to much oil in fuel mixture? Or is it to rich and not buring it all off? It seems to pool in my exhaust and then drip out of the can and pipe joints when I park it in the garage . I am gonna clena out pipe and run it see it it continues I will get back to you all.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
You're probably jetted a little to rich. Also, you say you ride it for about 10 minutes at a time? You may not be riding it hard enough, these things are made to rung out at higher rpm's, not cruising.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I don't know about the drops coming from the crankcase tube, but the oil coming from the exhaust is very simple: The oil in the gas mix is not getting burned.

Now, the reason the oil isn't getting burned is a bit more complex.

The cooling system in a dirt bike lacks a thermostat, which I never really understood. The result is that if you are not riding them hard they tend to run cold. Like MXSparx said, if you are only riding 10 minutes at a time you may never be getting the bike up to a temperature where the oil will burn instead of coming out the exhaust in liquid form.

There is a very good chance that the carburetor is jetted too rich. My experience has been that the bikes are jetted too rich from the factory so if no one has gone through the jetting process it could be too rich. If the bike was jetted for a lower elevation it could be too rich. It's winter now, it may need to be leaned out a bit to compensate for temperature.

There is a very slight possibility that you are running too much oil or the oil is of a poor quality.

You may also have an unrealistic expectation. Two strokes will always have some amount of oil residue in the exhaust.

My recommendation is to start with a jetting exercise. Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot of information as to how to go about jetting your bike properly. This may not only reduce the oil mess but it may make the bike run much better in general.

Rod

maja7904

Dec 3, 2009
hey guys thanks for tips. I cleaned the exhaust out and repacked it. i am runnning synthetic oil in mix, best i can get available at store with a ratio of 42:1 and it seems to have solved my problem. I am hearing the drops out of the tube are just from pressure building in gear box and it is just a pressure outlet.

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
lucky you got it fixed just wait until the day you have oil sprayin out your exhaust like a water gun lol then you need to start worrying about main crank seals and stuff just like me lol.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom