Oil leak from middle of Case need advice

pgbutler

May 3, 2008
Hi all.

I believe this is my first post on this forum and I need a little advice.My 2005 KDX220 seems to have developed a leak from the gasket that seals the two halfs of the engine case while sitting in storage over the winter.Although I am not 100 % certain it does appear to be leaking a small amount of gear oil ( a few drips over several hours) from a spot 5 inches forward of the drain plug. I was hoping it was coming from the counter sprocket shaft seal or oil drain plug but no such luck. Assuming it is the gasket ( which it appears the KDX has) seal ing the two engine cases what are the chances that it can be sealed without splitting the cases? Would a sealent like an epoxy work or even tightening/ snugging up the engine case bolts that hold the cases together stop this leak. I hate the idea of splitting the cases as this bike has very few hours it and runs great. I suppose I could live with a small oil leak but that sort of thing drives my crazy.
Any advice or suggesting would be greatly appreciated and help me sleep better tonight.Thanks!

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
There is NO gasket in the middle. It is a special sealant.

I would do a lot of checking with baby powder or something before I split the case halves.

Top Bottom