jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Hey guys, just bought my CR250 (used 2000 model) and noticed that when i just brought it home and put it in the garage after starting it a revin' it a lil bit, that 2 hours later i notice a quarter size puddle of oil on my garage floor...question is, is this normal??? or whats the prob. sorry if this sounds retarded but im new. thanks :)

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
What part of the bike was the oil under ? Is it under the exhaust silencer, the front of the cylinder, or in the middle of the pipe ?

You need to just take a look at the motor and see if you can tell where it's coming from...Look at the entire exhaust from the header to the silencer and see if you can see some oil...

It could be just a rich condition and excess oil is coming out of the exhaust...This is caused by a very rich running condition (too much fuel to air ratio)...

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
its not coming from the exhaust though, it seems to be leaking under the engine block. plus, could it be oil that is leaking even though its a 2 stroke usually how much is it to get a leak fixed?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Could be leaking from the transmission drain plug. Clean the motor off completely and try to find out exactly where the leak is coming from. If it's leaking from the crankcase halves it can be expensive. If from the clutch cover or countershaft seal it's easy and cheap. If your not sure, find out where the leak is from and post back here. Many helpful, intelligent people are here to help!

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
I had an experience simelar on my YZ earlier this year. I brought the bike over to a friends place to be stored, and the bike leaked all over their garage. Turned out that somehow the tranny had burped up a bunch of fluid from the breather hose. Hasn't happened again.

Check your levels, if they are good now, chances are they were too high before.

Also, if the oil is black spoogey type of discharge, it could be a Power Valve vent just draining.

Jon

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
Check all the the bolts around the clutch case and make sure the oil drain plug is tight. Sometimes my screws come loose around the clutch case and I leak a bit of oil.

Curlyjoe

Oct 13, 2003
Check to see if the drain plug is loose. Also check the washer seal on the drain plug, these can cause leaks if they get shabby. Also check the gear shaft seal and clean any dirt from the seal. Replace if needed.

A biggie is dirt and crap around the counter shaft seal behind the drive sprocket. These can often build up with mud causing them to leak.

I would'nt think it would be leaking from between the transmission cases unless it's been split and the gaskets have been damaged.

As mentioned already, could be over full with oil.

Under the case, where the crank is, there are a couple of holes, (3mm ish) and can leak out of these if the crank seals are worn.

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
ok i finally cranked it up again and rode it around for about 10 min, brought it back and noticed that the black stuff is coming from where the welding of the exhaust is hooking toward the engine block.

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
I called the original owner and he said it was normal, because its a racing bike and it needs to be ran out in the open instead of the hood. your thoughts?

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
You keep saying, "BLACK STUFF." Is it gooey/thick...or.... runny/oily.
And it's leaking from the exhaust port? Is that what your saying. Where the pipe is connected to the side of the cylinder.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The "oil" that's leaking is affectionately refereed to as spooge and is a result of rich jetting. There are plenty of threads on jetting but here are a couple of good sites to start with
http://ericgorr.com/techarticles/carbtuning.html

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html

It also sounds like you have a bad seal at the exhaust mount. Get a new o-ring (I assume Honda uses an o-ring) and when you put the pipe back on use some high temp silicone to seal it up. Sometimes aftermarket pipes don't fit as well as stock.

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
well, as it turns out for the moment, the mechs found that the spooge coming from the starting port of the pipe that connects to the engine block is ok....we found little line of oil seeping through the cylinder though, and as you all know can be a mess to clean up for sure. therefore, i left the bike at the shop to get it fixed, plus they have to order the gasket to fit my bike so ill be out 15 days! :( . how do yall like that! ride it twice and ya already find a problem! :) oh well, im a very much new rider anyways so ya have to learn somewhere right? thanks for your help dudes and keep in touch!!! BTW my name is Jack.

Top Bottom