JoeyM

Jun 30, 2001
i bought my first bike a 1995 xr250r

and it seems to be burning oil...there is no oil leak, but the oil level seems to be always low. the bike runs fine and seems to have lots of power and makes zero smoke.

it seems to require about 1/2 a quart with every f hours or so of engine running time...

is this catastrophic? does my engine need a rebuild or can i just keep filling it? :(

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Make sure you're following procedure when checking oil level. On my XR's, if I don't make sure they're warmep up enough, I get a low read. I've made the mistake of not following procedure and over-filling :confused:

lineman

Aug 12, 2001
If your XR has a dry sump with the oil in the frame reservoir, you have to check it consistently every time. A long time XR owner taught me to start it, let it idle for ~ 3 minutes without reving it up, then kill it. Check the oil level immediately. I have gotten excellent results in this manner. The oil in the frame drains down to the engine over time, so this is the only way to get a true reading. If you are overfilling, it may be blowing the oil out of the case breather as you ride.:D

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
A '95 XR250R ia a wet sump engine. To properly check the oil, unscrew the oil-filler cap/dipstick and wipe off any excess oil. Make sure you are on level ground and hold the bike vertical. Place the dipstick into the oil-fill hole, but do not thread it into the hole. Pull the dipstick back out and note the oil level. It should be between the two marks (high and low). Unless the bike has been abused, the piston rings are probably still in good shape. Perform a compression test to verify. Those air-cooled engines tend to run very hot and after time the valve guide seals become brittle, crack and allow oil to run down the valve into the combustion chamber.

JoeyM

Jun 30, 2001
hmmm

i am pretty sure i checked the oil level correctly...but what gets me is...if it is leaking oil into the combustion chamber, shouldn't it make smoke? it doesn't make any smoke whatsoever...
are those vavlve guide seals hard to change? thanks for the help

Top Bottom