25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
I plan on becoming a "Preffered Customer" for Amsoil for 6 months and buying all the oil I could need. Im thinking either a case of 12 quarts or a case of 4 gallons of the 10w-40 Advanced Synthetic Motor Oil. My problem is does synthetic oil have a shelf life or is good for a long time?

By the way...don't hound me for getting Amsoil. I have made up my mind :nod: and I am asking a question about oil life, not my oil choice. Thanks :ride:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
From the Amsoil Web site:
Bottom line, there are a lot of variables to consider, but generally, under ideal storage conditions the estimated product shelf life for AMSOIL lubricants can be quite long, with five years being a guideline. Care should be exercised when using lubricants that have been stored for a long time.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
Synthetic oils are designed primarily for looooong oil change intervals. If you change your oil regularly and frequently, it's pretty much a waste of money to invest in synthetic.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You have to admire a company that can get customers to pay them $20 for the privilege of purchasing their products for inflated prices.

Filling their heads full of BS, and having them LIKE IT is also another novel concept that has to be admired.

Only in America! :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Jaybird said:
You have to admire a company that can get customers to pay them $20 for the privilege of purchasing their products for inflated prices.

Filling their heads full of BS, and having them LIKE IT is also another novel concept that has to be admired.

Only in America! :)

:rotfl:
Especially when most wildly expensive oils aren't much better than some low price stuff.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Are you using this oil in your car/truck, or in your bike?

If this is going into the gearcase/clutch of your bike then you will not be doing your bike any favors, that is for sure! Any claims of longer oil life would be based on a typical automotive engine use where the life of the oil is based on the standard contaminantes of combustion byproducts.

A dirt bike is a different situation completely. The oil that lubricates the clutch will very quickly be contaminated with particals of the clutch, which then become abrasive to the bearings and gears. The oil itself is fine, it is just dirty. There is no point in having expensive, dirty oil......

Rod

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
i ride a crf its got a seperate trans and engine oil. and its compatible with wet clutch so its fine. i know

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You are still wasting money on long life oil in a dirtbike.

In the long run, you will spend a lot less money if you use Rotella-T. 9 bucks a gallon at Walmart. And at those prices, you don't have to warehouse a 6 month supply.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Indy's right. I started using Rotella as well. After really researching it alot, it seems to be the way to go. You can change your oil 3 times with a 9 dollar gallon of oil. That means 3 bucks an oil change. If you know anything about oils you know the engine will be well protected. And the bonus is I can go get it at 3 o'clock in the morning if I want. Any day of the week. And go grocery shopping while I'm there, lol.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
When i use up the the Amsoil i will probably not get it again. just something i wanted to try...and i wanted to get a cheap twin-air filter and NGK spark plug off Amsoil.com that is one of my reasons for getting it. but if i were to buy the Shell Rotella-T after my AMsoil which one do you use in your bikes and is it good for transmissions to? Because since my CRF has seperate oils i could always buy another cheap oil for trannies. like the Rotella heavy duty gear oil. just wondering.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It works well in both sides. I run the 15w40 h/d stuff. I've never seen any other type of Rotella in that viscosity.

Top Bottom