skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
I'm hoping this is a minor problem, and hopefully others have seen this. With a fresh top end, FMF fatty/turbine core exaust, and clean carb, my '92 KDX is running very strong. (bike has low miles) I put a little extra oil in the crankcase to quiet the idle/chatter, and notice that after riding I get a little oil sitting on top around the top of the kickstart and clutch return spring. It must be crankcase oil. Sight window shows 1/2 oil when level. Is this seepage?
Any ideas are appreciated.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Mine does that too, there is an oil seal part # 92049-1262 that is just below the release spring on the clutch cover

Also make sure your breather hose is attached and routed correctly, it terminates in the airbox.
It's a great tale-tale for when you need to do a new top-end, 'cuz the airfilter comes out black after every ride (hmmm, I wonder how I knew that?)

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
This is a fairly clear, and sure looks like tranny oil. Likely subject is the clutch spring seal area. Could be from overfilling Crankcase. Don't have any filter issues, and top end was just done - runs perfect. Can a seal be done without splitting the cases?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
This is a fairly clear, and sure looks like tranny oil. Likely subject is the clutch spring seal area. Could be from overfilling Crankcase.

Well that too, but more likely a bad oil seal

The seal is on the clutch cover, so no case splitting is needed

Attachments

• oil seal.jpg
    oil seal.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 86
Top Bottom