dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I need some help.

I have oil coming out of the breather hole on my 2004 crf250r.

The bike runs strong and I have no problems except for this.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

Any help would be appreciated.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My experience is that an excessive amount of oil coming out the breather is due to an excessive amount of "blow-by" from the piston. You may need to refresh the top end.

Rod

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I have been putting the recommended amount of oil in the tranny and in the engine. I do not fill it up to the max each time I do an oil change.

How do I know if I need a new top end on it. I got the bike last November and I ride about every 2 weeks when I get a chance. It still runs strong and starts up in about 2 kicks.

Should I just change it out to take a look?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
My experience is that an excessive amount of oil coming out the breather is due to an excessive amount of "blow-by" from the piston.

Doesn't the Honda have separate oil for engine and trans??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How many hours are on the engine? I'll venture a guess it is unknown. Picking up an hour meter and a Factory Honda Service Manual will be two of the best purchases you ever make.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
x2 on the overfilled transmission.

Just because it says 800ml (or whatever it says) on the sidecover does not mean to put that much in after a change. The stated capacity is probably if the thing is bone dry for initial assembly, and you never get ALL the oil of there when draining it.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I do not know how many hours the engine had when I purchased the bike. I know I have put on at least 30 hours since then.

I have the service manual already and I just need to get an hour meter and the piston kit.

I do not put the 800 ml in the tranny.

I put less than the required amount.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Unknown engine condition would indicate perhaps you should check your compression and plan on spenging a bit more than a piston and ring kit to get it back to a level you can feel won't end in a pile of tears and metal fragments.

Top Bottom