JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I recently purchased a 2007 CRF 450R and I am debating what oil to run in the engine and tranny after the initial break in. The owners manual simply recommends Pro Honda GN4 for both the engine and the transmission. However, my dealer is telling me that I should run Pro Honda HP4M in the engine and Pro Honda HP4 in the transmission after the initial break-in. The main difference between the two is the HP4M contains Moly and the HP4 does not. I did a search and had trouble finding much on this specifically so this is why I stated a new thread.

I realize I dont need to run Pro Honda fluids but I am looking to see what input others have on this and I can find an equivalent oil from there if I dont use Pro Honda.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've had great luck running the Honda Pro HP 80/85 gear oil in the trans on my CRF. The CRFs I've worked on that have run HP4M have all shown minimal wear, so I think it's a good choice if you want to run Honda oil.

I haven't seen as many GN4 engines, but I've also never heard any complaints.

I've also had excellent luck with Mobil MX4t 10w40 & Mobil Delvac 1300 in a number of CRFs both 450 & 250.Lots of good oils out there to choose from.

On the trans side I think it's more a case of finding an oil that gives you the shift and clutch "feel" you are looking for. Any of the good quality oils will provide enough protection.

With the oils you are looking at the frequency of oil & filter changes will play a bigger role than the specific oil you choose.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Thanks for the info Rich, I appreciate it. I think I will do the first couple of oil changes with the GN4 and then after its fully broken in try the others and see how they work out.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Rich- if a guy is going to change oil every 5 hr on a 450F, do synthetics still offer an advantage?

Any opinion on Amsoil?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
NM_KDX200 said:
Rich- if a guy is going to change oil every 5 hr on a 450T, do synthetics still offer an advantage?

It depends on what exactly you are comparing I suppose.

NM_KDX200 said:
Any opinion on Amsoil?

Never used it myself, and it's unlikely I ever will. ;)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
It depends on what exactly you are comparing I suppose.

Well, simply put....I want my engine to last a good long time and be in good condition when it's time for an overhaul :cool:

I'm changing the air filter every ride (dusty here in New Mexico, you know....), oil every 5 (that's basically every other ride), cleaning the stainless filter every oil change. Got 15 hs. on the bike, the valves haven't budged. Not racing, just play racing and recreational riding.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For what you describe, any of the high quality oils changed at your intervals will provide plenty of protection.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
oldrnyzr said:
Hey Rich.... is there an Amsoil story there...???? :yikes:

I'm just not a fan of their rather "optimistic" marketing approach. Lots of people seem happy with the products.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
I'm just not a fan of their rather "optimistic" marketing approach. Lots of people seem happy with the products.

I did the math and by the time I pay shipping and the $20 annual fee for Amsoil, I can buy Mobil 1 MXT for the same price at my local auto parts store (the same folks who work on my Chevys, give me free advice, rescue me from the grocery store parking lot when my fuel pump quits, etc., etc.). That's why I asked my question- I can see if you're going to run oil for a long time, but if you're changing it every 5 hours, seems to me like "good oil" is "good oil".

I DID run Amsoil in my ranch trucks for awhile and it got black and thick much faster than Mobil 1. The trucks seemed to run rough and I dunno...I just didn't like. Went back to Mobil 1 in them (see "local auto store" story above).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom