kdxdude

May 19, 2001
I just bought a 2000 kdx 200r, i want to run synthetic oil in the fuel. I bought some synthetic OPTI2 oil. There is no ratio on the bottle. It just says to mix the entire bottle 250ml/ fl oz for 22 litres or 5 gallons. There is no oil/fuel ratio scale on the bottle. If my calculations are correct then the ratio is approx 88:1 ! A few people i've talked to say to run 40:1 or 50:1! I guess i will have to add more oil, but it is quite expensive! I will have to add 2 bottles of the 250ml/8 fl oz bottles for 40:1. I would like to just add one but i'm scared the bike will run to lean and seize! Can you run a leaner mixture with synthetic oil than just normal oil.:think I hope adding the 2 bottles will not foul plugs (40:1). One of my friends says he justs adds a small bottle of yamlube to 5 gallons of fuel and has never had any problems? i'm confused. Need a little help here guys

kdx22097

May 16, 2001
Correct me if I am wrong kdx riders because I am new to the Drn forums/ Dave's just kdx. I mix 16 oz of oil synthetic or regular two cycle oil to 4 gallons of gas.

hondaman22

Apr 30, 2001
OPTI-2 is Great Oil!

this is the oil that i use. the ratio is 100:1 or 1.3 oz per gallon. My bike NEVER overheats and does not smoke. Also i never foul plugs. Many people will tell you that you will "blow up" your bike. Thats is a bunch of crap, in the 3 years that i have used it, not 1 problem! Remember that this is synthetic oil, which has excellent lubricating properties. Opti-2 has been around since the 1960's. :)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Based on previous DRN threads, one could make a huge generalization that while 100:1 may not seize, it may also add to increased wear. Most synthetic oil guys on DRN go with 20:1 to 40:1 IMO. You will achieve much greater performance gains by fine tuning jetting, race fuel, or aftermarket parts, long before you can measure a performance gain by brand of oil. As far as engine life is concerned, how can you rationalize the miniscule amounts of lubrication at 100:1 that occur in the fuel of a 2-stroke engine? I recomend synthetic oil by Mobil, Yamaha, or Redline at 38:1 for trail riding.

hondaman22

Apr 30, 2001
Just as I Thought.

I knew somebody would think this was crazy to run 100:1 I have checked out the wear and tear on my top ends, it just so happens that using the other brand caused more wear. If the product calls for 100:1 ratio and would cause an increase in wear, WHY would the company sell the product?
Amsoil also makes a synthetic 2-stroke oil with 100:1, they wouldn't sell it if it didn't work well.
These smoke blower bikes with high oil to gas mixtures is part of the reason why all the hippie tree hugger environmentalists are getting the 2-strokes banned. Just look at all the places in California that have been shut down.
KDXDUDE give the OPTI-2 a try. You will like because it does not smoke, foul plugs, and the bike will run better. Plus very little oil drippage around the exhaust port.:cool:

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Less volume of oil = richer.
Run what's recommended by the oil manufacturer, but don't expect the oil ratio that you use to solve your spooge or smoke problems. Take the time to jet you bike correctly. You will be rewarded with snappier performance and less spooge/smoke.

hondaman22

Apr 30, 2001
dhoward is correct with the jetting statement. You will have poor performance with improper jet setting.
We take for granted that everybody is properly jetted.
Take the time to dial the bike in for all riding conditions: hot,cold, dry,humid,altitude etc.

kdxdude

May 19, 2001
thanks for your input guys. I Ran 40:1 in my bike. Seems to work fine. Right now my bike is stock except for the air box mod. Would i have to run a larger main jet since i have more volume of air comming into the engine. I ride tight trails from approx 500 feet above sea level to approx 3000 feet. The trails in B.C. are quite extensive, especially the single track kind which hugs the side of mountains (goat trails). I 'm only 160 lbs and i think the suspension is good enough for me right now. I'm planning on a REV pipe, pcII and reeds. What kind of jetting would you guys suggest or is each bike different, with all the new mods. Right now, i'm getting use to the 2 stroke power , i've never had ridden a 2 stroke before but MAN are they cool for the trails! I've been a 4 stroke person for the last 9 years! Jeeze, now i know what i've been missing.
:)

Top Bottom