jwork

Jul 4, 2010
I bought a 2000 KDX 200 that had been sitting for 5 years. Cleaned out the gas tank, carb and petcock and replaced the spark plug and the bike started and runs great. The person I bought it from replaced the pipe and silencer with a FMF gnarley and powercore II. When I ride the bike there would be black oil residue coming from the exit port and bottom screw of the silencer. I repacked the silencer last week and after riding, there it is again. Im running 32:1 mix and have tried several differant oils. Could it be a heavy amount in the chamber and all I need to do is clean that out or since I have not rode MX/Trails in a long time, could it just be from my riding. The Yamaha ATMX I have never seemed to have this problem years ago (I rode faster back then) Thanks for any help and/or info.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
jwork said:
I bought a 2000 KDX 200 that had been sitting for 5 years. Cleaned out the gas tank, carb and petcock and replaced the spark plug and the bike started and runs great.
jwork said:
The Yamaha ATMX I have never seemed to have this problem

So the bike runs great right?, so... is it a problem? That's the question really.
My answer: Sounds about normal to me.

jwork

Jul 4, 2010
Thanks joburble. The only problem so far is the mess dripping on the swingarm. As I said, its been a long time since I have been on a two stroke and this is my 1st Kawasaki.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
KDX's are well known spooge factories, especially if you are running the overly rich stock jetting.

You should see some improvement by leaning the jetting out, but there may be a nice reservoir of goo in your silencer.

A reduction in spooge might be had by running race gas, but relatively few KDX riders choose that path.

To some extent, a trail bike running on pump gas and being ridden at moderate speeds will spooge. It should clean off pretty easily with a rag and some WD40.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
jwork said:
I bought a 2000 KDX 200 that had been sitting for 5 years. Cleaned out the gas tank, carb and petcock and replaced the spark plug and the bike started and runs great. The person I bought it from replaced the pipe and silencer with a FMF gnarley and powercore II. When I ride the bike there would be black oil residue coming from the exit port and bottom screw of the silencer. I repacked the silencer last week and after riding, there it is again. Im running 32:1 mix and have tried several differant oils. Could it be a heavy amount in the chamber and all I need to do is clean that out or since I have not rode MX/Trails in a long time, could it just be from my riding. The Yamaha ATMX I have never seemed to have this problem years ago (I rode faster back then) Thanks for any help and/or info.
Stock jetted kdx=spooge. When repacking, be sure to clean the inside of the silencer well with mineral spirits. If your plug is not fouling and you are happy with the bikes performance, I would suggest not letting this normal annoyance get to you. I would be more concerned if you weren't geting spooge. You might want to clean your power valve( kips) cause if it is comming back that fast, you can bet your kips is gunked up too. Messy messy messy.

jwork

Jul 4, 2010
Thanks guys, the mess is no big deal as long as it does not get on the rear brake pads. I cleaned the pipe good wit brake cleaner before puting the packing in. As I said, this is my first Kaw. and Im finding out more and more about it. The bike is strong and pulls good through all the gears. Again, Thanks for the info.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I had lots of spoog too but after the rebuild and fresh packing I jetted 42/155 2nd clip from top now I just get a drip on the chin of my fmf silencer.

when you repack use a little black rtv around the edge of the front end of the silencer pipe before inserting into the can.. on the kx125 I even used an old section of a grip to seal the pipe section of the silencer and headpipe.

as far as the mess you have tackled the messiest thing ever with the silencer repack

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I use RTV on the header and also zip ties on the little rubber sleeve that covers the stinger/muffler connection, so blarf just dribbles (a little) out the end of the pipe. I use Motorex at 60 to 1 also. Plenty of lubrication, low smoke and drool. :cool:

jwork

Jul 4, 2010
I have used several different oils, I am a Amsoil distributer so I am switching to that. This is a very strong running/pulling bike. At 210 lbs, it has no problem taking me for a ride and sometimes throwing me to the ground. I have been cleaning and inspecting the bike since it did sit for 5 years but so far no issues. Again, thanks for the help.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Jetting

If you are not quite the fastest thing in thewoods, your engine may not need that much oil, switching to 40:1 woould be OK, but jetting must be proper no matter which ratio.

Top Bottom