Greg716

Mar 27, 2005
I've just changed the oild (2nd time) in my new-to-me '01 kdx200. Each time it took only 500ml of oil to fill it up to the top sight line. Is the sight window off?

When I drained the oil, I let the bike sit perfectly veritcal for a good 30 minutes while draining. I used tie-downs to keep the bike from falling over.

I measured out 500 ml. of oil, dumped it in, let it sit for 10 minutes, and the oil is at the top sight mark already. Is it possible that some left-over oil (about 200ml) is still in the transmission? I don't want to over fill, but I certain don't want to have too little oil.

Is this everyone's experience?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Don't go by the sight window. Fill up in cc's as per what is stamped on the engine block ie:0.70l=700cc The oil will be high in the window, but after you start the bike and let it sit it will fall within the window parameters.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Jeff Fredette says you can dump the whole quart in there. I have been doing this for 2 years with no problems whatsoever. Almost everybody that I know with a KDX does this.It helps reduce clutch noise. If that makes you nervous, then just fill it to the top of the window, and don't worry about it.

I run 10w-30 or 10w-40 in it and I change it after every 100 mi.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The window is good for checking the color of the fluid, that's about it.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
A two stroke is not like a 4 stroke in that overfilling is not typically bad. Based on Jeff's recomendation (and he knows more than just about anyone regarding KDX's) I ran 1 quart (of ATF) in my KDX for 3 years. Never had a problem, never even had to replace the clutch despite much abuse.

Top Bottom