Mad Max

Mar 18, 2001
I have a 2001 KDX200, installed a FMF pipe and turbine core 2 silencer. Man, what a difference in the performance but. I was instructed to check my jetting as the bike may run leaner here in Texas so I did high speed and low speed shut downs with a inspection of the plug. It appeared to be running very lean as the plug looked ash white. So I stair stepped from a 160 main jet to a 165, 170 etc until I got to a 185. Performance was just as good but oil everywhere, all over the back fender, dripping from the pipe and leaving a small mound of crud on the swing arm dripping from where the pipe joins the silencer. Should I be concerned about this? Am I missing something here? I noticed that with the stock pipe and stock jetting that it also made a bit of a mess but not this bad. I am not fouling plugs and I went to the FMF website to see what they had for settings with my bike and their pipe set up and it had instructions to change my main jet from a 160 to a 155! I am not fouling plugs and the bike runs good. Is anyone else having this type of experience that can shed some light on it?

Thanks!

Mad Max

Mar 18, 2001
Thanks for your input, I surfed some more of this forum and found additional information regarding this topic that I didn't find initially. I think you are right, I am going to be sure I am not running to lean as to not burn up my piston and let the oil fly where it may. Who knows, in my next race if I am lucky enough to have someone behind me it could prove to be beneificial in that it could mess up the goggles of the unlucky rider ;) I guess I will just deal with it.

Mad Max

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ya, if you started with ash white and ended up with oil coming out you need to find a happy medium somewhere in the middle. Take your time but remember, it's safer to be a little rich. Don't forget, as it gets cold your bike will tend to become lean.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom