Ok fine, but what about my other questions

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Do they sell locks of any sort to protect your bike from being stolen? Like maybe a restraint on the kickstand or the fuel selector. I mean you don't need a key to turn a dirt bike on, so what's to keep ppl from just sneaking in, turning it on, and stealing one.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
most people when they steal a bike will throw it in the back of a truck. They aren't going to sit there and turn it on, make some noise and ride off into the sunset with it. Basically to make sure it doesn't get stolen. Lock it in a garage with an alarm, or put it in your house. I had my bike in my house for a bit. Looks great in a living room. Great conversation piece. If your garage has windows then cover the bike or the windows. Don't go showing off to the neighborhood that you have a dirtbike. There are locks you can buy that lock up the rear sprocket. But that doesn't really stop anybody. You can also put something in the garage floor in which you can chain/lock it up to. Otherwise make sure you've got insurance because bike theft is popular. Sucks but it's true

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Around here a bunch of thieves would go around with an oxy torch and cut locked bikes out of trucks to steal them. It just goes to show that locks only keep honest thieves honest.

You really should have insurance on a bike. Keep it locked up for sure but keep insurance on it as a backup.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use State Farm and insured my 2001 with comp and liability for $60/year. I get a multi line discount so you might be higher but it's not that bad.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
RM_guy said:
I use State Farm and insured my 2001 with comp and liability for $60/year. I get a multi line discount so you might be higher but it's not that bad.

Same here, even the same bike and insurance company. We were at a track, and I had leaned my bike against a friends beater pickup. Some guys came from the other side of the truck and started wrestling, and slammed into the truck. It knocked my bike over into a new Honda Pilot parked next to us. State Farm denied the claim I made because they said the coverage was only good if it was in my driveway or garage. I should have lied to them...turns out that insurance is almost useless. Now I have a supplemental on my home owner's to cover it against theft, and nothing else. I gave the guy 500 bucks to fix his Pilot...he rolled it about 8 times a few weeks later. :bang:

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Yea, it's all about the green to businesses. Sux here in Texas. I just bought a bike and went to transfer title. I thought you had to pay taxes on what you paid for the bike. I paid $2800. Turns out that market price for the bike is $3900. So I have to pay 6.25% of $3900 instead of $2800, which is what I paid for it. Damn govt screws you everytime.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Honest theives? Hmmm? Never met one of them, LOL. I know the saying though, "a padlock only keeps the honest ones out". Silly.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So you you research all of your purchases as much as this one?

Top Bottom