OK - I'm an idiot - Kips removal question

rmxfixme

Oct 13, 1999
KIPS removal – 2002 KDX 220

What’s the best way to hold the horizontal shaft when removing (and installing) the nut on the left hand side that holds the gear on. It was on very tight. I tried wrapping the right-hand-side gear with a cloth and holding it with vice grips but was worried about breaking off the teeth or snapping the shaft. I heated the nut, but it still wouldn’t budge. The manual just says remove the nut – no other info. Without holding the shaft or the gear the only thing stopping rotation is the gears mashing into each other. I decided to just torque it off and – you guessed it – I broke the rear tooth off of the gear!

After 10 minutes of the “you f***ing idiot” dance in the garage I decided to seek help from this group. The gear actually still works – the rear tooth never fully engages in the rack. There are always 2 teeth fully engaged. I could probably re-use it but I’ll buy a new one anyways.

What do you guys do?

Brian

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Nut LOOSENS BY TURNING CLOCKWISE, NOT COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Side the rubber up or down on the shaft & you will see a notch for where you place the wrench...You probably broke the Governor in in the case also.....I wished you would have posted before TORQING OFF

rmxfixme

Oct 13, 1999
I'm talking about the nut on the left hand side (pilot view) of the HORIZONTAL shaft, not the nut on top of the VERTICAL shaft. The nut on top of the vertical shaft came right off. I held the shaft on the flats as you described.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Green Hornet said:
Nut LOOSENS BY TURNING CLOCKWISE, NOT COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Side the rubber up or down on the shaft & you will see a notch for where you place the wrench...You probably broke the Governor in in the case also.....I wished you would have posted before TORQING OFF
Hey Hornet, where were you when I about twisted mine off LOL. Another case of ALWAYS read the manual first! Good point.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I understood what nut you were talking about; left side, end of the horzontal shaft, under the round cover.
Mine has always come loose without breaking anything.
When the right side nut and claw foot is disconnected and you try to loosen that nut I think the flapper, not the subport valves, is what stops rotation of that horizontal shaft.

rmxfixme

Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the replys. I disconnected the flapper valve before I removed the nut. I'm thinking the flapper valve keeps the gear from rotating hard into the rack when removing the nut. Next time I'll remove the nut first.

Top Bottom