Ok, Just traded for a 94 KLX 650... questions?

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
Is this a good bike? I am new to thumpers and have a 04 YZ 250 so... I had an old Yamaha FZ700 and my neighbor wanted to trade so I did.... I did not ride the bike that much plus it needed mostly all new plastic so I went for it. I had never looked at the dual bikes before but as I own it now has anyone have any advice for me on the in's and out's of it? it has 15,000.00 miles on it, in pretty good shape too.... seems to run real strong but kinda... acts like it needs a tune up. so what do I do here? no manual and very little info on the net.... the only upgrade I see is the FMF pipe that he installed. I changed the oil lastnight and after less than 2 miles riding afterwards the oil is pitch black again..... anyway let me know! Thanks Jeff.

Last edited:

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I would do the standard basics like clean your air filter, adjust the chain, change the oil, etc. If the oil is dark again right after the change i would change it out right away with some Chevron Delo 15w40 or Rotella oil which is high detergent HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) and then run that for a week or so and change it again to clean it out. I don't know anything about those bikes, but a guy i work with just bought an 06 for street use and backroad use and just loves the thing. Good luck getting it all sorted out.

BIKEMAN111

Mar 19, 2001
klx650

these were known for funky handling soft suspension and most worriedly overheating keep the rad fluid fresh,remove the louvers on the rads and if it feels as if it`s running sluggish or hot cool it off immediately.at least you`ve got your yz for the rough stuff just don`t try to push the klx or it`ll bite you.dirtbike magazine raced a new one years back and blew three motor in a hot dusty 2oo mile race.use good oil,distilled water in rad,keep clear of debris,periodically clean out the sparkarrestor of any debris for cooler running also.you know the old trick with the coat hanger in the cordless drill it`ll help! :blah: :ride:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Also the street version uses a CV carb with a spring loaded slide. The slide will lower upon G outs, jump landings or good sized whoops. When the slide lowers the bike looses power, in a similar manner to closing the throttle. This happens even if the throttle is cranked wide open.

I had one of these things years ago. I loved it for what it was, a heavy, comfortable dirt bike. I changed the carb and the exhaust. It really came alive.

Chris

ukkdxrider

Apr 26, 2006
i had one of these and recently sold it, the new owner was fitting a 680 top end and 650r camshafts to liven it up ,i had it upjetted KnN filter micron straight through silencer and it had some kind of lucas ignition amplifier as a cdi it went quite well , you can get a tapping noise sounds like piston slap when the chain is about to reach its next adjustment position . it is esential to keep the oil clean did you change the filter ? also make sure the fan is working i had a switch on mine and just used it when needed, it is a very good strong engine as long as oil and coolant system are looked after , one way of telling how good the engine is is to remove rocker cover and inspect the camshafts especially the exhaust one ,lack of oil changes can cause wear to the camshaft journles , there is an after market front pipe that improves exhaust gas flow as insidewelds are crude on stock item (surposingly )

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Another vote for Delo or Rotella....They make better oils for motorcycles than some of the common brand name motorcycle specific oils at a much bettter price.

I wouldn't worry about oil turning dark quickly...Perfectly normal.

Top Bottom